Cars and Trucks

Unfortunately looking good is about all its doing right now… Probably wont be able to get to work on it until later this week or next weekend.

1 Like

Got her back together with the new front coil overs. Much tighter, feels like a new truck.

6 Likes

Looks pretty clean too!

2 Likes

Saved over 700 dollars replacing the rear shocks on my car today. Dealership wanted to charge $800 dollars to do it and I bought both shocks for around $75 dollars.
To change them it is literally;

• Loosen the lug nuts on the tire
  • Jack the car up
  • Install jack stands to support vehicle
  • Remove the tire/s
  • Remove two bolts holding the shocks on the car (two bolts per side/shock)
  • Remove the shock/s
  • Clean the bolts and nut/s
  • Put the new shock/s in place
  • Put Anti-Seize compound on the bolts and put in place through shock/s
  • Torque top bolt to correct specifications (80 foot pounds)
  • Replace tire for safety and tighten lug nuts (will finish torquing to correct specifications later)
  • Torque bottom bolt to correct specifications (80 foot pounds)
  • Lower car off jack stands
  • Torque lug nuts to correct to specifications (80 foot pounds)

It took 2-1/2 hours to do both sides and that included having the hydraulic jack breaking making it necessary to use the standard scissor car jack to finish the job.

Fun fact, the car jack for the Elantra was stolen/removed during a service call at some point so I had to utilize the jack from our Hyundai Santa Fe…

Wheels

5 Likes

Great work @wheelsup_cavu!! Nothing more satisfying than a job done yourself. That it saved you a small fortune is the icing on the cake!! You should buy yourself a new jack with the savings!

1 Like

We are definitely on the same page. From my online searches a new floor jack similar to what I have right now, 3-1/2 ton, will be over 200 dollars. The repair kit I found online for the jack, if it is the correct one, runs in the 40 to 50 dollars range. Once I confirm that it is the correct one I will give the repair kit a go first and if that does not work I will definitely get a new floor jack.

I am going to be replacing the front struts on the Elantra in about a month so I have that long to repair the old jack or get a new one. :sunglasses:

Wheels

1 Like

Another thing worth considering if you are working with jacks and stands on the floor is a good set of strap on kneepads. They are a life saver!!

1 Like

Lol, I have a pair but I had the job finished before I remembered. The way my knees feel at the moment after what little time I spent on them during this repair I will not be making that same mistake when I change the front struts.

Wheels

1 Like

Kneepads are vital. I earn my keep playing in the sandbox all day, and a lot of that is done on knees. My boys all hate wearing them, but to me wearing them feels not just natural, but brings back memories of glory days:

https://youtu.be/H5s9XzmFYs4

I’m the one in black.

5 Likes

That was badass!! I thought he had you for a minute then you came back to dominate him!! Remind me never to F**k with you! Sierra hotel!

That was powerful.
As @Victork2 said, no messing with you- and I hope we’ll be friends forever. :smiley:

1 Like

Awesome man! That’s badass indeed.

You look so different to the picture I had in mind. And so much more menacing! :open_mouth:

I have since grown a lot of hair and gained 20kilos, not all of it muscle :wink:

3 Likes

Nature’s Armor I call it.
Good, I have some of that too…

1 Like

Same here lol :laughing:

You still look far different to what Germans think of when you say “Dutch man” because we inevitably imagine our most beloved Dutch man ever: :smiley:
R-12879958-1543736991-9514.jpeg

2 Likes

1 Like

Nice reversal. Back in the day I was usually the guy on the bottom, which really sucks when your girlfriend brings her parents to the match by surprise.

1 Like

The fun thing about BJJ is that being in a guard position can be really offensive. That tourney, I lost two matches, one to a BJJ wizard who jumped guard and took an armbar before I could even react, the other to a guy who pulled guard and just rode that one point lead until the bell.
I won one of the matches by triangle choke, off my back. Guy wouldn’t tap until his nose started to bleed and he went limp lol. If you listen close to the one I posted, just before the guy taps, I look at my corner like “what now coach?” and coach yells “go on, break it!”

Good memories.

4 Likes