Change of Underwear?

https://twitter.com/breakingavnews/status/1312842327245946880?s=20

3 Likes

That’s really something no pilot wants to see.

1 Like

That twin guy definitely wasn’t a British fella.

Oof. Correct me if I’m wrong but looks like the textbook danger situation in the pattern/final at a non-towered airfield where you have a low wing aircraft above and (possibly?) a high wing below - large combined blind spots where after a point neither pilot can see the other aircraft.

Shouldn’t happen if you join the pattern correctly, call out the pattern legs in the radio and scan/listen for other traffic.

2 Likes

Yeah the rules and procedures are pretty much meant to prevent such an error completely.
But we are all humans so it happens now and then.

I sometimes wonder if it wasn’t useful if everybody used something like the FLARM system many gliders have. If I am not mistaken a FLARM equipped plane would have screamed at the pilots constantly in that situation.

1 Like

Eh, seen this dozens of times in MSFS. You real world pilots sure do make a big deal out of things.

J/k, that is legit terrifying!

So my question for those of you up on such things: what happens next? Is this like filing for a fender bender? Are authorities involved? Does Mr Twins McHotshot get grounded?

2 Likes

Just Wow… :crazy_face:

Wheels

Just doing quick internet search produces few examples of folks surviving this pancake.

1 Like

For those fields without a tower, it’s definitely a case of pilots beware!

Lucky for him his approach speed was significantly lower, because with equivalent speeds it would have likely ended like those pics above…

It’s easy to do. A good, relatively tight, pattern helps. When @sobek said “definitely wasn’t a British fella” I am not sure what the reference was. But if he’s referring to the British pattern, I agree. A continuous turning base to final with a fairly short final is better for visibility. But we have instead trended the opposite direction with wider, longer patterns. Technology hurts (RNAV Approaches which encourage straight in approaches in VFR conditions) and helps (ADS-B-In traffic alerting).

There is no telling who was at fault here (I didn’t listen to any audio). There are lots of possibilities. One could have been on the wrong CTAF. One could have not been transmitting position reports on the CTAF. One could have been using the wrong airport name (you’d be surprised how many airport names there are on a plate).

Sometimes people training…like doing RNAV approaches or other instrument approaches are the worst for getting too focused inside. I’ve done it…I’ve seen others do it. One of my instructors in Arizona was involved in a midair collision on final under similar circumstances. The solo student in the other plane made it back to the airfield…my instructor and her student had to put down in a swash, flipped over, but were OK.

Fly long enough and you see stuff like that that could have happened to you. Midairs are one of the scariest parts of flying. I almost got taken out by a NORDO SH60 in Norfolk a few years back. It leaves you wondering how you made it this far.

2 Likes

He jumped the queue. Very un-british.

1 Like

Always always keep on your toes on approach. I had the same thing happen to me during an ILS approach. Pilot dropped the ball, thought he had clearance for the same approach when he didn’t. Controller also dropped the ball and said nothing about it despite the fact he should’ve been watching his traffic (slow day, too).

Fortunately for me, he was in a Beech 18. Those big ass Pratties’ll give themselves away without effort.

Pilot thoughts after listening to the radio:

“Wow, what a funny coincidence, I am on short final to runway 18, too!” :slightly_smiling_face: :thinking: :astonished: :neutral_face:

1 Like

Ahhhhh. See, as an Ugly American I didn’t even recognize the behavior as anything other than normal. :grin:

3 Likes