Circuit at Key West...

So…in continuing the theme of impulse purchases this weekend, I bought the X-Aviation / Icarus Simulations Key West (KEYW) scenery for $11.95. It looked good online…and after doing some research on it, I was intrigued by the fact that Delta and Air Tran operate 737s to the field since it is not really a long strip of pavement at 4,800’. Attesting to the fact that this is on the margins are the EMAS installations at the ends of the runways.

The largest aircraft is the Boeing 737-700 operated by Air Tran. As a stand in, I downloaded the nice looking Air Tran livery by Jviation for the default X-Plane 737-800…

Not a ton of ramp space at Key West…so watch the wing tips as you maneuver off the ramp…

I’m still amazed at how nice the default 737 and MD-80s are in X-Plane…what a great added value…!

KEY-03

Lined up to go. Very nice scenery by the developers there at Icarus…

I have to admit…the quality of the Key West scenery has me eyeing their San Diego scenery which is also on sale this weekend…

I don’t know what operating weights those 737s operate to and from Key West at. I’d imagine it is somewhat restricted, particularly with a wet runway. I just went with 2.5 hours of fuel and a full boat figuring that had to be somewhat to the light side of a moderate weight. I was surprised to see at FLAP 5 I used just slightly more than half the runway…

Turning out over the Gulf for the downwind…

Back on final to 27…

Shot for around 130 or so for Vref…no idea if that is close or not…

With autobrakes set to “3” and no reversers…took about half the runway to stop…very nice!

X-Plane really is just a fun sim to fly. It just feels more dynamic than P3D and I find myself turning to FSX/P3D less and less unfortunately.

2 Likes

That looks really accurate if you compare the shots to google maps. Weird place though, they’ve build up every little bit along that highway, reminds me a little of venice.