Civil Aviation Ministry of Information thread

That scene with the 757 is pretty common in SFO, and not at all unsafe. The RWYS 28 are close together. So the approach controllers try to zipper parallel arrivals together by asking us to maintain speed separation. But of course that is only possible if the relative ref speeds are close. A light 757 can fly at 125 knots. Few other planes can come close to flying that slow. So when the faster airplane gets too close the controller can call a go-around. It looks dramatic. It’s perhaps scary from a passenger seat. But it is perfectly ok.

I like how Heathrow does it. Heathrow requires all jets, regardless of type or loading, to fly exactly 160 until 4 dme. For that last 4 miles even huge speed deltas don’t significantly affect separation.

1 Like

OSL/ENGM does the same. It’s a challenge in a small Dash8 with a gear config. speed of 158. :wink:

3 Likes

In a BN Islander twin piston we flew approaches at ‘ramming speed’ until 2 miles, then slowed to 65 and took the flaps.

3 Likes

it could be as little as 1/4 mile. So much drag losing the speed was never an issue. Nor was stopping. We normally aimed short for the turn off not the threshold.

Getting rid of energy is not a problem in the baby Dash either. But maintaining passenger comfort while doing so, is… :wink:

1 Like

You don’t need to worry about passenger or crew comfort in the Islander -

Undaunted by aerodynamic reality, the design team at Pilatus/Britten-Norman has announced plans for the BN2-XL (Extra Loud), promising more noise, reduced payload, a lower cruise speed, and increased pilot workload.

We spoke to Mr. Fred Gribble, former British Rail boilermaker and now Chief Project Engineer. Fred was responsible for developing many original and creative design flaws in the service of his former employer, and assures he will be incorporating these in the new BN2-XL technology under a licensing agreement.

Fred reassured BN-2 pilots however that all fundamental design flaws of the original model had been retained. Further good news is that the XL version is available as a retrofit.

Among the new measures is that of locking the ailerons in the central position, following airborne and simulator tests which showed that whilst pilots of average strength were able to achieve up to 30° of control wheel deflection, this produced no appreciable variation in the net flight path of the aircraft.

Thus the removal of costly and unnecessary linkages has been possible, and the rudder has been nominated as the primary directional control. In keeping with this new philosophy, but to retain commonality for crews transitioning to the XL, additional resistance to foot pressure has been built into the rudder pedals to prevent overcontrolling in gusty conditions (defined as those in which wind velocity exceeds 3 knots).

An outstanding feature of Islander technology has always been the adaptation of the 0-540 engine, which mounted in any other aircraft in the free world (except the Trislander) is known for its low vibration levels, so as to cause it to shake and batter the airframe, gradually crystallise the main spar, desynchronise the accompanying engine, and simulate the sound of fifty skeletons fornicating in an aluminium dustbin.

Britten-Norman will not disclose the technology they applied in enhancing this effect in the XL, but Mr. Gribble assures us it will be perpetuated in later models and sees it as a strong selling point; “After all, the Concorde makes a lot of noise,” he said, “and look how fast it goes.”

However, design documents clandestinely recovered from the Britten-Norman shredder have solved a question that has puzzled aerodynamicists and pilots for many years, disclosing that it is actually noise which causes the BN-2 to fly. The vibration set up by the engines and amplified by the airframe, in turn causes the air molecules above the wing to oscillate at atomic frequency, reducing their density and causing lift. This can be demonstrated by sudden closure of the throttles, which causes the aircraft to fall from the sky. As a result, lift is proportional to noise rather than speed, explaining amongst other things the aircraft’s remarkable takeoff performance. In the driver’s cab (as Gribble describes it), ergonomic measures will ensure that long-term PBN pilots’ deafness does not cause inflight dozing. Orthopaedic surgeons have designed a cockpit layout and seat to maximise backache, enroute insomnia, chronic irritability, and terminal (post-flight) lethargy. Redesigned ‘bullworker’ elastic aileron cables, now disconnected from the control surfaces, increase pilot workload and fitness.

Special noise retention cabin lining is an innovation on the XL, and it is hoped in later models to develop cabin noise to a level which will enable pilots to relate ear pain directly to engine power, eliminating the need for engine instruments altogether.

We were offered an opportunity to fly the XL at Britten-Normans’ developmental facility, adjacent to the Britrail tea rooms at Little Chortling. (The flight was originally to have been conducted at the Pilatus plant, but aircraft of Britten-Norman design are now prohibited from operating in Swiss airspace during the avalanche season).
For our mission profile, the XL was loaded with fossil fuel for a standard 100 nm with Britrail reserves, carrying one pilot and nine passengers to maximise discomfort.

Passenger loading is unchanged, the normal under-wing protrusions inflicting serious lacerations on 71% of boarding passengers, and there was the usual entertaining confusion in selecting a door appropriate to the allocated seat.

The facility for the clothing of embarking passengers to remove oil slicks from engine cowls during loading has also been thoughtfully retained.
Startup is standard, and taxying, as in the BN-2, is accomplished by brute force. Takeoff calculations called for a 250 decibel power setting, and the rotation force for the (neutral) C of G was calculated as 180ft/lbs of back pressure.

Initial warning of an engine failure during takeoff is provided by a reduction in flight instrument panel vibration. Complete seizure of one engine is indicated by the momentary illusion that the engines have suddenly and inexplicably become synchronised. Otherwise, identification of the failed engine is achieved by comparing the vibration levels of the windows on either side of the cabin. (Relative passenger pallor has been found to be an unreliable guide on many BN-2 routes because of ethnic considerations).

Shortly after takeoff the XL’s chief test pilot, Capt. “Muscles” Mulligan, demonstrated the extent to which modem aeronautical design has left the BN-2 untouched; he simulated pilot incapacitation by slumping forward onto the control column, simultaneously applying full right rudder and bleeding from the ears. The XL, like its predecessor, demonstrated total control rigidity and continued undisturbed.

Power was then reduced to 249 decibels for cruise, and we carried out some comparisons of actual flight performance with graph predictions.
At 5000’ and ISA, we achieved a vibration amplitude of 500 CPS and 240 decibels, for a fuel flow of 210 lb/hr, making the BN-2 XL the most efficient converter of fuel to noise since the Titan rocket.

Exploring the constant noise-variable speed and constant speed-variable noise concepts, we found that in a VNE dive, vibration reached its design maximum at 1000 CPS, at which point the limiting factor is the emulsification of human tissue. The catatonic condition of long term BN-2 pilots is attributed to this syndrome, which commences in the cerebral cortex and spreads outwards.

We asked Capt. Mulligan what he considered the outstanding features of the XL. He cupped his hand behind his ear and shouted. “Whazzat?”
We returned to Britten-Norman field convinced that the XL model retains the marque’s most memorable features, while showing some significant and worthwhile regressions.

Pilatus/Britten-Norman are however not resting on their laurels. Plans are already advanced for the three-engined Trislander XL, and noise tunnel testing has commenced. The basis of preliminary design and performance specifications is that lift increases as the square of noise, and as the principle of acoustic lift is further developed, a later five-engined vertical takeoff model is another possibility.

12 Likes

That’s… salty :smiley:

3 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

Brilliant post @Scoop :clap:

1 Like

So would you say the BN-1XL is a good machine then?

3 Likes

@schurem. Absolutely. The description of the design is 100%. That many flaws is a work of genius

3 Likes

A guy I know who used to fly the Islander said that you really didn’t need a multi engine rating to fly it. If one engine died, you could just as well shut the other one off too, or it would just delay the inevitable… :wink:

2 Likes

I remember when I lost the right engine flying to Papa Stour in 2000. The same flight where the female sitting behind me molested me in flight with her lips (!) After landing I had to turn right with the left engine dead. Normally an Islander is taxied leading with about an inch or two of differential noise/power rather than just pressing on the rudder. With no engine assistance I found however much pressure I applied with my right boot, I could not get the aircraft to turn against the good engine. I had to shut down and get towed to the hangar.

5 Likes

I know the story. But you need to tell the story here. I’m not sure how well it will come over by text but its a bloody funny story :smile:

3 Likes

Since @Victork2 insists.

Papa Stour

The runway is at the south of the island,orientated NS with prevaling westerly winds.

Tingwall

All inter island flights in Shetland are flown VFR, there being no IFR nav aids. The cloud is usually below 500 feet and visibility well below 2,000m. We were allowed to fly visually below cloud in 1,000m for airline flying. Air Ambulance flight visibility could be at pilots discretion.

On approach to Papa Stour I checked the drift as I crossed the channel between Mainland and the island, ‘Ve Skerries’ of to the left. Mainland is the name of the largest Shetland Island. Papa gets a new windsock every year but they hoist it and leave it up as soon as it arrives. After about a week it makes its way in a gale to @troll in Norway so for the rest of the year we had to rely on Mk1 eyeball, there being no RT service. The wind is always max crosswind so its just a case of working out which runway has the most headwind component. The next task was to herd up the animals off the runway with the aircraft - a couple of low passes. They usually then stay away for a few minutes while the aircraft lands. Not always. Normally the last pass would finish with a 45 degree turn to the west followed by a steeper reversal to line up with the runway. All the excess speed would wash of in the steep turn requiring re-selection of power. Flap selection in stages and then put her down just after the boggy part of the runway.

On this day it was different. As I reversed the turn, reapplied power and selected flap two things happened unexpectedly. First the right engine started to show a large mismatch in manifold pressure compared with the left engine. I had the same thing happen the previous week that had stranded me on Fair Isle for five days as the left engine blew. I therefore raised the flap and climbed to about three hundred feet, shut down the offending engine and returned to my base at Tingwall. The second unexpected event that occurred while I was taking these actions/decisions, was caused by the female sitting directly behind me.

She stretched forward and pushed the left side of my headset, clear of my ear. She then ran her tongue around and inside my ear very amorously. As we transited for the ten minute sector back to Tingwall she did not give up. Her lips explored the back of my neck as well as my ears, to which she gave her full attention, to the great delight of both of the other passengers.

After landing single engine I disembarked the passengers on the runway. There were no other aircraft and it took a moment for the engineer to get the tractor. I decided i could not let the passenger get away with such behaviour and that I would have to speak sternly to her. I got out and went to the rear portside door that she was using. I went up to her and gave her a rub along her nose and a piece of biscuit from my uneaten lunch.

We were carrying a Shetland Pony.

You are not a real pilot until you cope with an engine failure and do a single engine landing with 18 inches of pony slobber sliding down the back of your neck.

For some reason when we moved onto the King AIr’ no one wanted to practice this in the sim.

fias_ponies

13 Likes

Ahahaha! Awesome story!

2 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :laughing:

I am not worthy!!

4 Likes

Tooooooo heavy…! I’m actually surprised they continued to push as long as they did…it would not take much for those wheels on the tug to catch fire from that kind of friction…then you have a tug on fire under a fully laden 777. Not worth the effort that was put in there…

3 Likes

Meanwhile…MD80 laughs…

2 Likes

Never a good idea to use the brakes having done a powerback

1 Like