CM3: to bind or not bind

so read this 1st…

“the nice thing about the virpil hardware is you can load your settings right into the firmware, so you dont have to do it in software. so for example, if you need to reverse an axis, recalibrate an axis, remap a button, map an axis to a button, you can load that into the firmware and its there for every sim. no need to go through and do that sim by sim, plane by plane; no need to use joystick gremlin or whatever. this was helpful when transitioning from the T-50CM throttle to the T-50CM3; rather than remap everything in DCS, BMS, etc., i just changed the button IDs in the firmware so that they lined up with the old throttle. problem solved!”

Now me being new to the software, I’m not quite sure how this works, so i came to some of the experts here in Mudspike. I’m desperate not to rebind buttons/axis’ for reasons i’m sure most of you know well.

What do you guys think?

I guess that would work, but only if the device name and id is the same. Otherwise DCS will remap everything anyway.

I tried last night by changing the USB ID to the CM2 ID and changed the VID/PID numbers to the CM2 as well. No joy. it looks like I will have to reassign everything. I’m going to give it a go one more time. Not sure how the guy did it and worked. For me, its not so big of a deal I GUESS because I only have one module that I fly. I bought others Monday for the sale, but I wont be able to get to them anytime soon.

One of my concerns is how to store bindings for different modules. I will be crossing this bridge eventually.

Thanks for that info Thumper. Dang, I was hoping that you could do that. DCS probably goes deeper than the VID\PID.

I think that what the author meant is that he configures parameters related to button and axis behavior, so that he doesn’t have to remember which of them need inverting, or other behavior. I’m no Virpil expert, but do own 3 of their controllers. To my knowledge, and please correct me if I’m wrong, there is no way to assign keystrokes to buttons and switches like you can with some controller software, like Thrustmaster T.A.R.G.T.

But since sims handle input differently, I always do it in the sim. Not to mention, some of them (looking at you BMS Falcon) don’t handle more than 32 buttons and need you to split your device virtually.

1 Like

“To my knowledge, and please correct me if I’m wrong, there is no way to assign keystrokes to buttons and switches like you can with some controller software”

I haven’t experienced that so far, not in DCS anyway. I’ll stop griping and do what needs to be done. The CM3 is badass nonetheless.

1 Like