Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations GOTY

It is great isn’t it.

Did you add the DBs as per first post in this topic, as the images and such do make it more fun (I like aircraft pictures I guess :slight_smile:)

1 Like

I haven’t got that far yet but it’s on my to do list for tommorow. I like the idea of thaybas I guess it could get a little samey.

I just cannot believe the DEPTH! incredible simulation

It’s a great sim. Dry as bones but if you know how to read it, it has all the stories to tell.

If there’s a place to check if four more F-35 or ten F-15X are better, this is it :wink:

1 Like

Glad that you like it!

Out of curiosity, which “at a glance” observation gave you the impression that it would be a hard game to get into?
(We are always on the lookout for ways to tear down the “barriers” that may prevent people from enjoying the game.)
Thanks!

Hi @Dimitris please don’t take what I said the wrong way. I may have worded it wrong but what I meant was it looks like a lot of windows and spreadsheets but it is actually quite easy to navigate and find what you are looking for. I think it’s just the way the simulation is set out with little in the way of colour and unnecessary graphics gives a look of very a serious piece of software as opposed to a ‘game’ but once you load up a tutorial it very quickly becomes apparent that it is not what it seems.
I particularly like the top toolbar which has all of the key shortcuts etc right in front of you so you don’t NEED to remember them.
The tutorials are excellent as well. Very Informative without being overwhelming and extremely satisfying to complete.
I’m half way through them at the moment and enjoying the experience very much.
Again please dont take my previous comments as criticism It really wasn’t intended as such. I assume you are a developer of CMANO? if so thanks! Worth every penny!

As an aside I got Northern inferno with it. I haven’t really looked at it yet but I assume I’m doing them the right way round and not missing out by doing the CMANO tutorials/game first?

Thank you for your very kind words (yes, I am one of the CMANO devs). There was absolutely no misunderstanding and no offense taken.

What I meant was that what you mentioned, that at first glance the game looked hard to get into, is something we’ve often heard from other newcomers as well. Sometimes the player overcomes the initial impression and enjoys the game, as you did. Other times that negative/puzzling first impression is enough to drive people away. This is not just a lost customer for us but, more importantly, a loss to the CMANO community as a whole (many of our community stars had the same initial impression as you).

This is why we are constantly trying to understand what may (for lack of a better term) “rub people off the wrong way” when they are first exposed to CMANO, and improve what we can. We realize we’re unlikely to ever have the “wow” polish of triple-A productions, but every little thing helps.

(Joel Spolski had written a classic piece on removing barriers for new users, and we are big believers of that philosophy)

On your NI question, being familiar with Command’s overall UI and mechanics is most certainly helpful when going into the DLC campaigns. NI has a nice “start small/easy, end up massive” curve which helps things in this respect (Chains Of War, as a counter-example, tends to throw you right off at the deep end). There are various walkthroughs & LPs on it out there (both video and text), one of my favorites is this: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/lets-play-command-northern-inferno.362211/

EDIT: Another one in this very forum: CMANO Northern Inferno AAR

Thanks.

2 Likes

No worries at all! I think you have a fantastic product and wish you all the best for it and your future productions.
Personally I don’t think I’m very qualified to make judgements on your polish and presentation. But as I said my very first impression upon installing and opening the game was that it looked very serious and maybe a little advanced for the likes of myself…
However as I said the tutorials made it very easy to understand and I’ve had no difficulties so far with it (honestly ive struggled more with the dcs editor than this)
Maybe if the tutorials were a bit more prominent on the main menu it would look like helping new players was first and foremost but I think thats such a picky point as to not be worth worrying about and let’s be honest it’s not like there is a lack of tutorials there!
Can’t wait to get stuck in at the weekend. Thanks for the reply it’s nice to talk to the devs 1 to 1 occasionally :blush::+1:

2 Likes

So, we just announced a new stand-alone expansion:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/797/details/Command.Desert.Storm

3 Likes

Ooh, this does look nice - from the link above:

List of Scenarios:

• Invasion
  • The Thin Red Line
  • First Night
  • The Gates of Hell
  • Scud Hunt
  • Reviving a Giant
  • Israel Stands Up
  • BUFFed Up
  • Alliances
  • Reprisals
  • Extreme Prejudice
  • Bubiyan
  • Shooting Gallery
  • Liberation
  • Israeli Counter punch
1 Like

Excellent! Hadn’t seen this announcement. Will definitely be getting this. Still having a blast with CMANO. I’m certainly no star player at it but it’s great gaming.

I’ve learned a lot about naval engagements through this and oddly enough it encouraged me to finally read ‘red storm rising’ and I’m now on ‘SSN’ after having no great interest in naval warfare other than ‘oooh pretty ship’ it’s opened another cool area of fascinating history for me.

Love CMANO.

1 Like

No ok, I’ve resisted everything so far but I’m buying this and all the rest be damned.

1 Like

I recommend @Tankerwade’s (who seems to not be around as much and I miss him!) nice intro AAR here:

@MBot offered a really nice in-depth AAR as well.

2 Likes

You won’t be disappointed mate. Imo you should Spend a few hours in the tutorials and either focus on air or sea power (whichever interests you more)

Once you have the basics it’s really easy to transfer to the other side of it (air or sea)

Once you have that do a small scenario.

When you win forget doing anything else for a while!

1 Like

:slight_smile: WILCO!

The scenarios of Desert Storm - Part 1: The scenarios of Desert Storm – Part 1 : Command: Modern Operations

2 Likes

Oh man… This will be mine!

How do I turn OFF the gods eye view in the tutorials? I can’t seem to launch any attacks while in ‘gods eye view’

I never had this problem before so I’m not actually sure if it’s a new bug that’s developed or its something I’ve done. But I’ve gone back to the tutorial sections to try and finish off the bits I missed and this has cropped up in them.

Has anyone else had any experience of this? It says on the hotkey page to push ctrl + v to turn gods eye on but doesn’t say anything about deactivating it. Plus I don’t actually know what it does when it is on other than stop you giving any orders except moves…

Hi,

If you have enabled the “Persistent map profile” feature, please disable it for a while. We found and fixed a problem related to this and the God’s Eye view, but because of the production schedule the next update will not be released until the end of next week.

Once you disable the persistent map profile, this problem should be resolved.

3 Likes

I’ll have a look and let you know. Thanks for the quick answer @Dimitris! I was fairly sure I had already played the tutorial I was getting the problem on last night so I thought it was possible it was a small bug or a glitch. That’s good to know. I’ll investigate and update on here if that solves it. Can’t wait to try the new dlc (hence the tutorial replays of the strike missions)

Scenario of Desert Storm, Part II: http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=4906&fbclid=IwAR2Adc8eQBOzczN7JJLXFbIq-_mQ0HNGMOhShlZ_GKOrlS_lAZxafMXzBWQ

1 Like