Alright, through incidents which in no way involve me getting impatient and shooting down an airliner, my previous save game is no longer viable. Ergo, let’s have another crack at it, from the top.
No fooling around this time.
- 0200Z: AWACS takes off immediately and gets into station at the border.
- 0208Z: A Buccaneer with recon cameras takes off and immediately heads in for a low-altitude pass. It’s 4:00 AM local time but, whatever, maybe someone left the lights on.
- 0210Z: A four-ship of Phantoms, Peter Flight, lifts off to sweep for fighters. ROE is “no engagements on anything not confirmed hostile”, so they’ll need to close to visual range to verify targets with the Mk. 1 eyeball. This presents an interesting dilemma in that my huge advantage is my BVR capabilities and radars, which would provide nice, quick eliminations before the MiG-21’s can close in for a not-so-certain knife fight. This leads me to…
- 0215Z: A two-ship of Lightnings launches to hold in the patrol box while the phantoms investigate anything within the killbox. Should the Phantoms confirm targets, the Lightnings will close as fast as they can.
- 0220Z: A SECOND two-ship of Lightnings launches to do the same thing.
And we’ll see where things evolve from there.
0224Z / 04:24 Local - Mere minutes from crossing the border. All is quiet so far, though the Shackleton is lagging behind just a tad, preventing good vision around and behind the target city…
First bogey. It’s fast, and right near a SAM. We go further…
The next bit happened fast.
The fighter sweep encountered a bunch of fast moving airborne contacts, some correlating with radar emissions, others silent. Unsure about civilian air-traffic, I decide to close in to take a look.
…Until suddenly our leading element is threatened by a contact which turns straight into him. I decide to mark it “Hostile” (Keyboard Shortcut: H)…
Which ended up being a pretty good guess.
The next few minutes of combat are a blur of fury with missiles and gunshots being slung with little regard to anyone’s safety. Looking at the expenditures tab…
SIDE: United Kingdom
1x 20mm/85 SUU-23/A Gun Pod Burst [100 rnds]
2x 30mm ADEN Mk4 x 2 Burst [60 rnds]
16x AIM-7E2 Sparrow III
9x AIM-9D Sidewinder
4x Red Top
6x MiG-17F Fresco C
6x MiG-21MF Fishbed J
44x 14.5mm/73 Twin Burst [20 rnds]
1x 23mm Gsh-23L Burst [40 rnds]
24x 37mm/63 M1939 [5 rnds]
…We can see this was a rather costly exchange for the Ugandans.
End result… we got our recon