CPU Temp and X-Plane when loading a flight

Also something worth considering is removing old thermal compound and maybe even delidding the CPU. I delidded my 8700K and it was suprisingly easy to do…

1 Like

I have some new thermal compound on order. I’ll give it a try. As for de-lidding I think I would be better off not trying that…this is me we are talking about. I’m really not good at this stuff. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

The one paste I recommend against all others is
Thermal grizzly kryonaut it’s the dogs danglies

1 Like

I think that is exactly the stuff I ordered. :smiley:

2 Likes

I was waiting for this to come up…

1 Like

How…how could you possibly have anticipated that…? :sunglasses:

1 Like

My father had an issue with the PC I build for him with a Corsair AIO. Turned out to be, after time, ‘wearing’ down of the thermal paste between the cooler and the CPU. In that case anyway … and it was a more general failure instead of handling a temp spike badly.

Maybe I’m just seeing the early signs.

This is not really related to temps but CPU and XP are involved.

Wondering what is happening with my system. I can see low FPS and at the same time my CPU and GPU are working like they are not paid enough. Can someone pls explain this to me or is there any obvious issue with my system?

after little googling, trying to solve the obvious - drivers update…

…updated some MB drivers and now BIOS.

CPU went from 4.4Ghz under load to 4.5GHz on idle, interesting. I have non-K CPU with some default boost enabled. Seems like it is starting to do something :slight_smile:

But seems like no performance increase yet.

@PaulRix maybe check the drivers also.

Thanks @NEVO, I will look into that.

Currently I have walked the overclock back to 4.5 GHz with a core voltage of 1.237V, as per the table @Gunnyhighway posted above. My temps during loading XP are still on the high side, but lower than I was experiencing before. When I get the thermal paste next week I will report back.

Btw, @Gunnyhighway, where did you get that table from? It is the first reference I have found for a suitable voltage setting for a particular processor speed. I each processor is individual in that regard, but this gives a starting point at least. Thanks for posting it!

2 Likes

Its the stats from a company that sells processors promised to be capable to hit certain overclocks. They charge a premium of course. The upside is they test a lot of chips and provide the statistics to the public. Gives you a good starting point to see how lucky you got with your own chip. I dont know how scientific their testing is, but I’ve never had a problem using their 100% settings as a starting point for my overclocks. If you get one that can hit that 3% mark, you can resell it for quite a profit.

For 39.99, they will de lid your cpu and bin it for you. Basically run it through the test and tell you how capable your chip is. I’ve never purchased from them but they seem to have good reputation online.

1) SSE FREQUENCY IS THE HIGHEST STABLE FREQUENCY DETERMINED FOR NON-AVX WORKLOADS COMPARABLE TO INTEL LINPACK (SSE) AND P95 (SSE).
2) AVX2 FREQUENCY IS THE HIGHEST STABLE FREQUENCY DETERMINED FOR AVX2 WORKLOADS COMPARABLE TO INTEL LINPACK (AVX2) AND P95 (AVX2).
3) AVX-512 FREQUENCY IS THE HIGHEST STABLE FREQUENCY DETERMINED FOR AVX-512 WORKLOADS COMPARABLE TO INTEL LINPACK (AVX-512).
4) FOR AMD SUMMIT RIDGE AND INTEL GENERATIONS UP TO AND INCLUDING BROADWELL-E, A SHORT RUN OF ASUS REALBENCH WAS USED FOR TESTING. WE HAVE FOUND THIS TO BE COMPARABLE TO NON-AVX P95 26.6 STABILITY AND THEREFORE HAVE LISTED THOSE TESTED FREQUENCIES UNDER SSE.
5) CPUS WERE DELIDDED BEFORE BEING TESTED FOR INTEL GENERATIONS KABY LAKE, SKYLAKE-X, AND COFFEE LAKE. ALL OTHER CPUS WERE TESTED WITHOUT ANY MODIFICATIONS.
6) THE SAMPLE SIZE WE HAVE FOR THE FOLLOWING CPUS IS TOO SMALL, SO THEIR DATA IS NOT SHOWN ABOVE: 3570K, 3770K, 4670K, 4770K, G3258, 4690K, 5675C, 7350K, 7640X, 7740X, 1600, 2200G, 2400G, 9600K, 9350KF, 9600KF, 9700KF, 10940X. ANY OTHER CPU MODELS NOT LISTED ON THIS PAGE HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED BY US.
7) BIOS VCORE IS THE VALUE TO BE ENTERED INTO THE MOTHERBOARD BIOS, TYPICALLY WITH AUTO LOAD-LINE CALIBRATION SETTINGS, AND IS NOT AN ACTUAL MEASURMENT OF VCORE SUSTAINED UNDER LOAD CONDITIONS. DIE SENSE VCORE IS A MORE PRECISE MEASUREMENT OF THE ACTUAL VOLTAGE BEING HELD UNDER FULL LOAD.
2 Likes

Great, thanks for the info! I’m a complete novice when it comes to over-clocking. This is a big help.

1 Like

All my stuff arrived today, so I did a quick test of just replacing the thermal paste and while that did help a little, loading a flight in X-Plane was still spiking into the 90°- 95°C range.

So, I installed the new fan unit. First, this thing is quiet! More importantly, it seems to be much more effective than the liquid cooler I had before. When loading an X-Plane flight it spiked to 80°C but then settles down to between 55° and 70°. I flew a fast jet over Cardiff tonight as a test. Previously the temp spiked to 100°+ but the fan kept it to 70° or less. It’s not the prettiest thing to look at but I’m keeping it!

4 Likes

The noctua fans are excellent. Glad you got it sorted out. Getting up to 80c temporarily in this heat is acceptable in my book.

Closing time philosophy!

1 Like

When I bought my plane some non-acro types recommended an engine monitor with sensors on all cylinders. I explained that I don’t even have an electrical system. But just as important, aerobatics is abuse pure and simple. We exceed the 2700 rpm redline every time we fly. But somehow those poor Lycomings suffer through thousands of hours with failure-rates on par with gentle point A to point B flyers. (With exceptions to the crankshaft failures common during extreme airshow flying).

The point is: sometimes it’s best not to know. There is a continuum of “knowledge is power” to “knowledge is stress”. I err to the later. I figure when my computer can’t handle it anymore it will give me one of two screens: blue or black.

5 Likes

That’s a good way to look at it. I’m not looking to make the CPU last 10 or more years. I’ll probably be thinking about a new PC in a couple of years.

1 Like

A lot of people get bent around the axel about temps, but as long as it’s not throttling and it’s stable, not really worth worrying about 5-10c differences.

Also ambient temp plays a massive role. It’s over 90 and humid as hell today so my cpu is idling about 40c. Some people would flip about that. It’s really only 7-8c over ambient though.

I have a comparable “be quiet! Dark Rock 4” air cooler which looks better than the Noctua but probably performs a little worse. I’m tempted to order a Nochua though … for some reason you give me this impulse buy feeling @PaulRix. :wink:

Why would they choose two shades of brown though?!

I think your findings (and that Linus Tech Tips video) confirmed my suspicion … All In One liquid coolers are overrated and less dependable than air coolers. My last AIO was quite a bit louder than my Black Rock 4 too! :slight_smile: