DCS 2.0 Conundrum

I think I already did above. From the Nevada Nav thread here and another thread at DCS I made the bad assumption that this problem was universal for all who wished to fly the F-15 in DCS 2.0x. It obviously is not. Thus the “mea culpa”. But if it helps, I will say it again: “mea culpa”. :innocent:

And Fridge, I think you also are being unfair in reading my post as an assertion that ED knowingly “inserted” a bug. That’s a step too far. My claim was of the possibility that they knew of the bug and released anyway, which quite clearly they did if the changelog is to be believed. There is nothing nefarious in their right to do that nor in my observation that they might have done so.

So I readily admit that I don’t know much but I just added to my consternation. I modified an F-15 and an M-2000c mission I built and changed the skill level from Player to High. I placed both airplanes on the runway. When I went to fly these missions, both of the airplanes took off an flew normally. Even though it is still early in the evening her in Las Vegas, I am going to bed.

I dont think so, as inconsistent as the bug has been in the fact that not everyone experiences these problems, I could never reproduce these bugs myself, its hard to catch them. That said, these Early Access versions are not always going to be stable, and going into them, is to be expected.

1 Like

You are of course right. But to explain my statement that you quoted, ED released a change which introduced a bug for some users and ED acknowledged this by stating it in the changelog. So, yes, they knew and (yes) they released anyway. And that’s ok.

The only reason this pissed me off (besides thinking it was universal) was that I was looking forward to flying online with other mudspikers to try out WC’s mission. I did other things with my evening. All is well.

But I think that acknowledgement was that the issues weren’t fixed yet, they were introduced in the patch before that one, the acknowledgement was that they are known issues and they were unable to get them fixed for that patch.

1 Like

I get this smokin’. I guess I am sensitive to this because I am a software developer myself and I know that there is pretty much no software without bugs and sometimes things have to be released with known bugs. I would add that I like seeing such notes in the release because it helps me evaluate if I should update now (for the fixes) or wait (for the known bugs).

2 Likes

That sort of thing is out of my league. My closest experience with bug management was when I was beta testing for 777 and Rise of Flight. (You were in on that too, weren’t you?) That was just the tiniest of windows into the process but enlightening still. ED adds third parties sometimes three versions of the core product in public use, making their task exponentially harder. A few years back most of us had at least six ED desktop icons to chose from (BS1, BS1 Multiplayer, DCS, DCS Multiplayer, LOMAC and Flaming Cliffs). At least those days are gone.

One gripe i have with the DCS release cycle is the overall frequency with which bugs are introduced from open beta into the stable branches.

Now i do understand the complexity of the topic, and i’m not sure if this is the right approach to tackle it, but, speaking in Linux terms, maybe there should be LTS releases of DCS. That is, update the stable branches less often, make open beta cycles longer, make sure the feature set really works and branch off an LTS version update when things are truly stable.

The crux is off course that you can’t get content into the stable branches that quickly, and that means it would probably be costly to do so, not in the least because development would slow down a fair bit.

2 Likes

Of course, if I owned the Vancouver Canucks, they would have won many Stanley Cups by now instead of a couple near misses, and many bad seasons… backseat coaching of course is much easier.

1 Like

Really a LTS version would be great, because these days they usually go from beta to stable without any bug fixes unless it’s a big thing. It sort of defeats the purpose but atleast rolling back is easy.

I’m not sure why you think that my post deserves your sarcasm.

I’m not being condemning or saying that the Devs at ED do a bad job, and back when i used to talk to Devs personally, i was never met with such contempt when i made a suggestion.

And on the topic of backseat coaching, i am a professional software developer, and i deal with very similar problems on a daily basis, so i kind of take exception to that statement. I’m not aware of you earning your keep by coaching hockey.

If you think that LTS versions are a bad idea, be my guest and make your case.

3 Likes

A reminder to everyone to present your opinions and facts with respect. We aren’t going to let conversations devolve into taking pot shots at each other.

3 Likes

My apologies.

No worries. I think it is fine to be critical of development paths we disagree with. And how else are developers going to know what their users are thinking if not to read what we think we know or is happening? I mean, I like hearing how people think we are running this site, both good and bad. If everyone was up in arms and 75% of you were writing messages saying you hate the tone here, I’d have to reconsider how we are running it. In the same vein though, if only two or three people were making 75% of the noise, I’d be skeptical that that really wanted me to improve the site, and would figure they just don’t like me. LOL.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again though, I don’t think there is a single feature we all want that ED wouldn’t want to put in their sim eventually, nor is there a single bug that they wouldn’t want themselves to fix. It is, of course, in their best interest to do that.

Now…back to the BFT campaign. I’m close to graduating and the ice in my champagne bucket is starting to melt…

2 Likes

Their GM isnt the smartest bloke either…

Less about that, and more about what he was handed… but then you proved my point lol.

Point was discussing how ED handles their releases is not a relevant discussion, its unlikely the Devs are coming here looking for ideas. The point of my post is that I have lots of ideas on lots of things, government, sports, movies, game releases… I just dont see the fascination of posting a solution for nothing other than… well I dont know what, I have an idea, but I am sure it would be construed as sarcasm :smiley:

1 Like

Of course, but I can be critical of the critical posts cant I? :slight_smile:

1 Like

But no one can be critical of an f111…

Awesomenessessessesseszzzzzzzz

1 Like