DCS 2.5 memory issues?

Finally got some time to mess around in 2.5, and after playing for some time ~1hr (less when in multiplayer) the game crashes. I checked the logs, and some variation of access violation appears.

C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 3522E10D 00:00000000

That usually means a memory error, correct? What do you guys think?

It can be when it tries to write to memory that isn’t there. I think there where issues with 2.0.4. I presume that you have more RAM than minimum specs (8Gb). If it is running with an XMP profile maybe revert to default. Or run a memtest. Its probably the software but its always worth checking the hardware too

Good luck troubleshooting. Is it happening everytime you run DCS?

i have 16gb, and yes after flying in an multiplayer server for about an hr, it will crash with that access violation in the log. I checked afterburner, ram usuage was up over 13gb. I’ll do some more checking.

1 Like

I have 8 GB of ram and played (only in SP) for over two hours without any crash, just for the records.

1 Like

When I play in single player, i dont have problems. Ram usuage stays around 7-8. When i go online, the usage goes up to 13gb and page file usage was like 25gb.

1 Like

Some of the guys on the 229th forums are saying the same thing. Seems to be server issue. The Memory loads to full when joining the server and stays full

I think i remember this happening in a previous 2.0 build, so maybe it will get ironed out. I really doubt 8gb of vram and 16gb of system ram is not enough. That would put a large portion of users unable to play online for very long. I don’t think most people have 24+gb’s of system ram.

1 Like

Yep, just had the same problem. Crash on trying to load MP on 104th, memory spikes high OOS.

1 Like

I have 16GB and was getting more frequent crashes after 2.5. It turns out that the 2.5 took up too much space on a 128GB SSD I use for a couple sims and my page file. The page file didn’t have enough room anymore and I could see it reported in the windows Event Viewer → System logs leading up to the crash.

1 Like

what drive does the pagefile access? The windows drive? or the drive the game is on?

In my case it’s just this one SSD that doesn’t have windows on it but I configured it that way. If you haven’t played around with any of that I think its either on the windows drive or windows drive + all others. Pagefiles can get really big though, I think if you have 16GB of RAM the page file can get up to the mid 20’s. Look in System Properties → Advanced Tab → Peformance → Click “settings” → Advanced Tab → under virtual memory click “change”
That will show you which drives page files are being used on, you can cancel out without changing anything.

1 Like

Which setting would have the most direct impact on ram usuage? Textures? Shadows? Just curious if I can tweak my settings to run the game online for extended periods of time. No problems at all in Singleplayer.

I think textures for sure, maybe anisotropic filtering has an impact on that with texture size… not sure. I use the “System Information” graphs in Process Explorer from the Microsoft sysinternals suite to monitor my GRAM and RAM. Leaving browser windows open can eat up a lot of RAM too, and even video RAM if it’s something like a sectional chart.

1 Like