DCS 2.5 Update Thread (2018)

Question: I’m going to delete and start with a fresh install of 2.5 Do I need to deactivate my modules first?

No
The registry entries will still exist

Thanks Cib

1 Like

You may want to just update because you’ll probably save yourself some downloading if the new install can borrow from your old one… Unless the download speed is super good for you…

I know I’ve said it before…but a shoutout to @SkateZilla for the awesome DCS Updater GUI Utility. It is a really nice way to manage things and I use it to launch for VR ON/OFF all the time.

:beers:

5 Likes

As with all major DCS updates, I have to spend some time finding the performance sweetspot, so crucial to a great VR experience. Since I also have got a new vid card, this procedure was even more important.

The 1080TI performs a lot better than the 980TI, but I can’t go anywhere near max settings. Not that I expected to…
Still, a lot of settings on high. At least higher than they used to be.

I tried without deferred shading, but the performance gain wasn’t as big as 2.2 on the 980TI, so I turned it on again. Man, DCS looks great with deferred shading!

If there was an Oscar for scenery design, ED would deserve one for the new Caucasus. And the water, with the white caps and reflection looks so damn good!
Makes my mouth water at the thought of the upcoming Hornet and Tomcat releases. I’ll be doing carrier ops all day long.

Visibility is another thing that has gotten a much needed update. Still hard to spot the bandit, but easier to keep him in view once you have made contact. Even in VR. Very nice!

DCS sure made a quantum leap in the right direction.
Having a single development branch will probably increase the pace at which DCS is updated as well.

6 Likes

Agreed. I’m tickled pink over this release and, after having taken a lot of time off from DCS World just because I haven’t been super proactive about managing my installs…I’m back in. Really a nice job by ED on this, and once a few of the bugs have been ironed out, I’m really looking forward to where they are going to pour their resources next (obviously finishing up the Hornet, theaters, and…fingers crossed…some sort of look at a more dynamic campaign environment…hopefully…pretty please…!)

1 Like

And multi crew for the Huey and Mi-8, not quite ED but BST have been working hard on their end of the Hornet. And I am sure the resources will be evenly spread now they only have one install to keep updating. I am sure the developers are as relieved as we are. Now if only I had more time myself to fly the damn game :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Buddy, Trying it out now. In VR this update is Magical. I’m waiting for the TV pc to update… Bring on the eye candy…

One other thing…
I tried several instant action missions when checking changes to the settings. The F-5E Takeoff mission in Caucasus has a E-2C contrailing out over the sea. I intercepted it and as I approached from behind, I flew along its contrails. It was a totally mesmerizing experience to look at the condensation plume streaming behind the Hawkeye. Really beautiful!

Clouds look a lot better with deferred shading, too.
Still some turning cloud billboards, but a lot better than 2.2 and much, much, better with deferred shading, than without.
Are we seeing the «new clouds» that ED told us they were working on, or are they yet to come…?

1 Like

Doing the same thing- apparently doing a fresh reinstall is supposed to help with the 5+ minute mission/ program loads.

we’ll see.

Has anyone noticed ships without texture (end up looking like a green digital camo)?
I took the Huey Harbour tour and most of the ships bigger than a yacht are all missing the textures…

I noticed that while browsing through the Encyclopedia - there you can see some of the assets that are missing textures…

1 Like

I was afraid it was happening to me because I went from 1.58 beta to 2.5…

According to one of wags videos they have some new technology implemented but they are not the “new” clouds.

OK, I turned off Shadows and Terrain Shadows. Now I’m able to fly in the Caucasus without stutters, and TrackIR is smooth when panning. All the sliders are back up to 100% - Clutter/Grass, Trees, Preload and Chimney Smoke. MSAA is Off, AF is 16. Deferred Shading and Cockpit Global Illumination are On. It seems Shadows is the frame rate killer.

Settings

3 Likes

Yep that’s what I found too. The trees look bad to me without terrain shadows though imo.

You must have a higher resolution than me though if you can run without MSAA as mine looks terrible without it at 1920x1080 so have to run it with deferred shading on which everyone says I shouldn’t but can’t fly with all those jaggies.

1 Like

Yep, Wreckin has 4k res so no MSAA needed oc.

I am experimenting with one thing - everything almost full setings plus 8x MSAA, but… 1280x768 …on 40" FHD TV :grin:

It runs butter smooth and I have no issue spoting airborn targets at all :slight_smile:

…after
I have read Beach’s JF15 retro AAR I gues I am in need for retro graphics.

3 Likes

also Mace try to turn off MSAA ingame and try to set AA via nVidia control panel, it should have smaler performance impact

1 Like

Here is something I came across that disables ASW if anyone needs it. I run it and it seems to help
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2306852/