DCS 2.5 Update Thread (2020)

Mind you, that was an automatic translation from a public chat in Russian, I wouldn’t read in it too much.

1 Like

Ah well then lol

According to Heatblur, ED does already control missiles; at least their guidance. I think they took control over 3rd-party missiles after people complained about the JF-17’s ARH missiles being too good. I take issue with this because a) reality isn’t balanced, and nerfing 3rd-party module’s missiles for the sake of balance cheapens the simulator aspect, and b) ED is breaking missile guidance coding with every single update they push out.

2 Likes

Odd. When my Hornet is outta bullets it’s no more deadly than an A320. No biggie to me though.

WHY not allow map mods! Let the super-nerds do their work for them! No ONE team could provide all the maps users could want. This isn’t a new idea. Look at ARMA-3 (off the top of my head, and SF2?)

IMO they are going the wrong way sometimes - needs more “open”/Yes and less “closed”/No.

So, clouds peeking over the horizon (pun intended) and a hint of a dynamic campaign. C’mon BMS VR! - for my air warfare fix.

For years I’ve thought the last bastion of complex mil flight simming would end up coming from non-commercial sources - way too many players want it pretty, and simple. Makes sense financially to support them.

I do enjoy DCS as an armed version of X-plane though.

Makes sense. I mean, you can already fly an F-18 against a, oh, ME109 right? What’s the diff. The difference is in how it’s used by the people buying and playing the sim.

1 Like

I don’t do much MP but, isn’t there a way to define what mods are allowed on a server? If not there should be; allow a WWII server to have killer lasers on their Mustangs? Ok, and those people that frown on that just won’t join it, for instance.

Yeah, for a long time I’ve thought ED just needed to ‘invent’ a EW environment (cuzz it’s all so secret), based on reasonable known physics so we’d have something. It’s all pretend anyway but at least there’d be an avenue to develop EW tactics, based on some model. All very abstract yes, but needed.

Agreed.

2 Likes

Hearsay and guesswork isn’t going to do you much good here.

That list is a reduced transcript, from a different language that someone aran through a translator. Not a Bible.
It’s suppose to just give an inkling of ideas about ED future plans.

@jross same with your dissecting of my post.
We risk starting arguing semantics over imaginary situations.
I’d just like to appreciate the good amount of information we, for once, got.

5 Likes

It wasn’t your post, though, right? I understood that. Nothing there sounded out of line from what I’ve seen from ED over the last, well, maybe ever.

But those clouds man, dig those clouds! Peace out brothers :peace_symbol:

5 Likes

“Cloud Surfing” < on a short, pointy, maneuverable board. Yes!

1 Like

Cool art work. Where did you get it?

What does “nerfing” mean?

To make weak, often in the context of artificial game balancing. Nerf are those foam toy guns.

Well…NO!!
" Kate Perederko

Posted yesterday at 02:44 AM

Dear All,

I would like to stop the speculations about 262.

It is not in development at the moment. I do not want to tell you which aircraft will be started after Mosquito.

Right now we focused on Mosquito and we want to make at high level.

Sincerely,

Kate Perederko

Chief Operational Officer

2 Likes

I don’t it get it. In this instance, why is it so hard for 3rd parties to do add-on aircraft? ED’s biz “model” or the code, or both? Nothing I can do about it, just wonder.

2 Likes

Google image search. It has everything.

Because to do it right, you need at least a bunch of very skilled individuals, ideally aero engineers who are skilled programmers (being really good at both already puts you in unicorn territory), you need access to documentation that most of the time the government rather not give you access to, you need access to SMEs that are probably reluctant to work with no-names and you need a bunch of venture capital, which will probably not be easy to get given that the market is niche and the risk of failure is considerable.

4 Likes

Actually, I get all that. I really do (when I tried this 25 years ago we had a PHD writing our flight model code - was very convincing). And I’m reminded of the old adage, “perfection is the enemy of good”. I’d have no clue how an ME-262 should perform, for instance.

But I wonder if there’s some other ‘barrier’ put in place?

You can keep the Mossie, the Hind and the Apache. You can keep my lovely old home, Guam. Just give me those lovely clouds! I live for clouds.

11 Likes

You don’t think that is “enough”? :astonished:

2 Likes