DCS 2.7.X Screenshots (2021)

5 Likes

That F-16 pilot is flying a wee bit low there…

1 Like

Simultaneously flying both Thunderbolts in Liberation campaigns. Managed to grab these before the track file went ape. Again.

10 Likes

Great wallpapers, as always!

So that’s what you guys have all those screens and HOTASes for!
:crazy_face:

2 Likes

I’m wondering just how much bier the extras consumed making that video. Pretty funny.

Simple, all of it.

Another Jug sortie down in Liberation. At this point I’m giving up on replay tracks that aren’t 100% A2G. Even server tracks are unreliable with AI bandits that I downed somehow downing me during the replay.

8 Likes

Man, I really hope ED is going to flesh out CA. Those new units looks so good.
A few months ago I played an entire liberation campaign on the Syria map using almost exclusively Combined Arms and despite its limitations and the AI quirkiness it was a lot of fun.

14 Likes

if they manage to get CA working in VR … then I will be all in
tank GIF

6 Likes

I really want to to try CA. I love tanks

2 Likes

Ken Block’s Tankkhana!

4 Likes

They look incredible. On par with the units from the WWII asset pack which is nice. The WWII assets are a work of art. Incredibly detailed.

Love the Leopard with the slanted armour on the turret

3 Likes

Definitely wait for the next sale. CA is kind of raw, fun but pretty thin so far.

3 Likes

Night and heavy cloud missions are challenging and fun in Liberation. Particularly nighttime with the Hog’s drunk TGP going Gimbal Roll all over the place, forcing me to use parachute flares and do things the old-fashioned way.

6 Likes

Early morning sortie over Cherbourg, bombing the harbour, then heading up to RV Miller north of the Cotentin Peninsula to secort B-17s

7 Likes

This is one of my favorite community skins for the Hornet. The detail is stunning. VMFA-115 by “flying_isoko”. I modded a few things like removing JHMCS and added the Naval version of MK-82’s. Also, I noticed on some community made skins there can be some awful anti-aliasing shimmer. I’ve found that loading the .dds files in paint.net and simply saving them with “BC7 (Linear, DX11+)” settings solves the issue. The default F-16 skin for the 152nd FS a good example of one that does this.

13 Likes

Great screenshots!

There were, and still are, many issues with the F-16 since Early Access release not just in the coding part for the flight dynamics and systems.
Also the textures or graphics were left behind the usual standard and so was the general quality of user made skins for the Viper.

The issue you’re noting is a problem caused during export. If no mipmaps are generated then the engine will not scale the texture down once you increase the distance to the model, showing the full 4k textures at all distances. Similar to what all the LOD’s do for a 3d model. Also requiring more performance.

Another issue is the alignment of the RoughMet textures across all the different areas of the aircraft, for certain skins.

So quite a bit of quality was also left out with the graphics part for the Viper.

1 Like

That explains it, I was also checking “Generate mipmaps” in the options. Its a pain to re-cook all these textures but there are some really nice hornet skins that suffer from this issue that I still want to use. At least there’s an easy solution!

Is there any reason not to use BC7?

How do you do that?

3 Likes

I’m not too sure about that. Nor if it has any relevance within DCS.

At the end, what counts for me, is the best quality for the smallest file size. Finding a reasonable balance between size and quality is what you want.
I think even modules like the Hornet still use BC1 or BC3 textures.

Add this to the description.lua of a skin.

custom_args =
{
[509] = 1.0,
}

Argument 509 controls the helmet visor. Setting it to 1.0 will remove the JHMCS visor.
I think the same can be done with other arguments. You can check the Args in the ModelViewer.

2 Likes