DCS 2.7.X Video Thread

An absolutely superb movie. 25 minutes long but well worth it when you have time. Greek and Turkish fighters in a brawl.

4 Likes

Man, I don’t see how you do that without a checklist. Or is it just hidden from the stream? You appear to be in VR.

1 Like

Yes I’m in VR and you are correct, I am not using a checklist for just flying some casual CASE I practice. I’ve always been good at remembering numbers and parameters and I have a couple of modules that I can operate well enough without a checklist to be effective in the sim:

• F-14A/B (Pilot only, I certainly need a checklist when I’m playing as a RIO)
  • A-10C (II)
  • F-16C
  • AH-64D (Pilot only, CP/G with a checklist)
  • UH-1H
  • MiG-21Bis
  • All the Warbirds

However when we fly a ‘real’ mission I’ll have my kneeboard with the Checklist open, just so that I don’t forget something important during start-up, FENCE in etc.

I am able to do a coldstart on even more modules by memory but I wouldn’t consider myself mission ready in them:

• F/A-18C (I also know enough to be dangerous but I would struggle to keep up SA while fiddling with the systems in a combat mission)
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • Mirage F1
  • F-5E
  • Mi-24P
  • L-39C
4 Likes

Awesome! The detail in these aircraft is such that it’s almost work to get proficient in any one. I love it.

2 Likes

It’s great, isn’t it? @Derbysieger is a freak of nature, a monster of knowledge. Also a very patient teacher, flying with him I have learned much things I would never have gotten to know otherwise (and most of them I sadly forgot again) So hat’s off to you, herr Sieger! :salute:

6 Likes

I’m old, but that’s not the only reason I use them. A personal real life flying incident which prematurely aged me, along with things like Snort Snodgrass’ demise. Have to use them. GUMP check ok, when applicable.

2 Likes

Not sure what it is but I am REALLY good at remembering technical stuff and numbers without putting much effort into it (also translates to navigation - IRL and in the Sim). It just comes naturally. So when I do something like flying CASE I I know all the parameters and when I need to hit them by heart.

Of course, I have also put literally thousands of hours into DCS ever since I started flying the A-10C in 2011.

I would never ever try to do these things by heart in real life flying because I do forget stuff when I don’t use checklists in the sim. It’s very different when your life depends on it.

Same at work when I need to work with high voltages. It doesn’t happen often but when I do have to work with say 10kV or 15kV, I double and triple check all the connections before turning on the generator even though in theory the stuff I work on shouldn’t be able to deliver dangerous amounts of energy.

1 Like

A nice short video. Amazing to me the amount of talented artists in the DCS Community. It also amazes me how real some of this stuff can look.

5 Likes

That Haze person is good!

This is still my fav 50 seconds of DCS cinematics to date. But others are catching up.

Was an entry in some competition. IMO it should have won just for that scene (rest was good too).

6 Likes

A nicely made short movie of a strike against insurgents in Raqqa. Story telling is done very well and camera angles are superb.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/T-LYif9zIOQ

4 Likes
4 Likes

I’m going to have to find this guy online and beg him to be my instructor for Air-2-Air combat. :wink:

https://youtu.be/BUVFNDCb33c

8 Likes

Gave it a :+1: just for the sound track. That move was cool too.

3 Likes

UNHOLY CARP!
That’s just brilliant!

1 Like

I get the feeling that the Mirage F1 flightmodel needs a wee bit of tuning… :wink:

6 Likes

That and that sidewinder shouldn’t really be able to fly backwards without tumbling. And in a 3rd gen fighter, that engine would probably compressor stall itself to pieces.

1 Like

Didn’t the pilot turn the engine off?

1 Like

Yes, I believe so because you see him doing an air start procedure with the throttle.

1 Like

I mean, not that makes it suddenly a realistic maneuver… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes