DCS 2.9

GREAT NEWS :rofl: … Now we just need ED to do the same with the patch :smiley: then we can crash some chinooks in Afganistan

3 Likes

Awesome, well done!

I have experienced a few client crashes in my recent DCS spree - mostly in MP (Rotorheads). I don’t know why it is, basically goes from smooth running to a freeze and then “a DCS crashed, would you like to send a crash report”. It’s not super often, maybe twice in a 3-hr session, but enough for me to use automatic startup sequence to avoid frustration.

For the time being, I’m going to put it down to DCS being DCS, as that’s how it has been in the past - but it would be interesting to know if that’s the norm or if DCS is rock-solid-no-crashes for some these days.

1 Like

I’d deactivate any overclocks and do a proper memory test.

2 Likes

I tinkered with this last night in VR for about 3 hours. Got it working, both via OpenKneeboard and the HB Virtual Browser in the Phantom. While the idea and implementation are really good, especially the ability to annotate many different layers, unfortunately, neither method was stable enough to earn a recommendation. In the case of the HB Virtual Browser, once it was open, I couldn’t close it with the HOTAS button I had programmed. Sometimes in would close with the default key binding toggle of RCTL+V, but often it would just take up a bunch of real estate and prevent you from manipulating cockpit controls via mouse. Via OKB, it randomly allowed interaction, and I never could get it to accept notation, text or paint. But often it just caused DCS to crash. I tried it in the Phantom, OH-58D, and OH-6A. Perhaps it is more stable in 2D. Note: I usually run OpenKneeboard and it has bee rock sold. Will watch this space for sure.

DCS Web Edit Discord

OpenKneeboard Discord

5 Likes

Randomly came across this the other day. Pics of a Essex class carrier done for DCS by Space Sauce :thinking:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lDoyX5

9 Likes

Is that water available in DCS, because it looks amazing!

1 Like

I don’t think that’s ingame water, it’s probably a render from his 3D modelling software?

5 Likes

This

1 Like

Def not being rendered in DCS, just showing off the asset they were contracted for.

3 Likes

I hope that they plan to put crew on the deck. I’m rather spoiled that way now. Will gladly accept it if otherwise, but hoping that we can plop some dudes in blue jeans on there somewhere. Having paddles would be pretty awesome too.

5 Likes

Holy changelog batman!

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/

6 Likes

6 Likes

seck-say!

Excited Donald Duck GIF

3 Likes

Nice to see some new AI items in there as opposed to just fixes (not that there’s anything wrong with fixes of course!)

3 Likes

That’s a big patch :grinning:

1 Like

As much as I love the @SkateZilla launcher, I really don’t mind seeing it go the way of the dodo with an ED made launcher taking its place.

2 Likes
  • AI Ground. Added a new air targets detection system for ground AI.

I wonder if this is the long awaited and rumored adjustment to lower ground vehicle accuracy for air targets :thinking:

3 Likes

AAARGH!
I can’t update as my SSD is too small - just 1 TB…

Is there any way to offload the maps on another SSD and feed DCS a symbolic link?

2 Likes

No, but it will make the lethal BMP-2 of doom far less lethal, because it won’t notice you as easily.

3 Likes

Yes there is, as you say, use a symlink. Also F-up your load speed.