DCS: Battle Damage Assessment [BDA] Thread

Formerly a truck, manpads crew and a ZU23.
Attack Profile:

• Hornet, Mk-82Y (AIR) - Ballute retarded bomb
  • TGP Target from 18,000ft or so from 15nm+ out.
  • Auto Mode, Qty 8 (dual rack on all wing stations), Multi 2 (pairs release), INT 50ft
  • Instant Fuse, Retard option selected (important to remember as the Hornet will default to free-fall!)
  • ~600ft AGL, level
  • ~500-600kts IAS
  • Attack heading parallel to runway (image lower to upper diagonal)

Notes:

• Ground fire began trying to engage me from a few hundred yards. Improperly lead, rounds passed underneath me without incident.
  • Single flares deployed every 0.5-1.0 seconds, manually on approach incase of MANPADS launch.
  • Immediate pull up with 20-30 degree bank post-release with numerous flares incase of MANPADS launch before bombs detonated.

Post strike:

• Target removed from action, leaving only three dispersed ZU-23 as active threats along with some nearby moored armed speedboats.
  • Follow up strafing passes at 500kts maintaining energy in the overhead turns removed ZU-23s from action without incident or enemy fire from the guns. Immediate pull up & break turn after trigger release.
  • Boats spotted after return fire from strafing spotted passing up from below.
  • Final 68 gun rounds expended towards a boat, sever damage but not sunk.
  • Clean RTB, no damage to airframe to report.
3 Likes

Another high speed retarded bomb pass, snakeyes this time - gave me enough time to pull a 180 before getting to watch the show:

Although I had hoped to drop the bridge, the casualty count is sufficient for this high speed pass under fire, with a cross wind. I attacked along the length of the bridge. Same profile as above in my previous post.

Some additional work later on with slick Mk-82s yielded some good effect on a column trying to roll next to a tree line.

2 Likes

I wish we could get a recce nose for the F-5 (RF-5 Tiger Eye) or the TARPS, so this could be done as an actual mission task.