DCS Community A-4E-C Mod

I tried several touch and goes on both the Vinson and Stennis; here’s what I was doing:

Started with a clean aircraft, 2300lbs of fuel, static carrier.

• Spoilers armed
  • Flaps full
  • Airbrakes on
  • Power variable between 30-80% – do not zero the throttle
  • Set radar alt warning to 350ft
  • Get into the break at 1200ft, keep airbrakes on until speed drops to 150kts, hook down
  • Down the break, gear down, flaps full, begin descent to 600-700ft
  • 5-6 degrees of nose up trim
  • Speed down to 120kts
  • Line up approach 3/4nmi to carrier’s stern, drop speed down to 110-115kts
  • AOA between 12-15deg
  • VSI showing between 400-600FPM
  • Maintain AOA of 12-15deg, descent rate of 400-600FPM, speed at 110-115kts
  • Add or reduce power to maintain descent, carefully adjust pitch to maintain speed (keep AOA above 20deg), use speed brake if speed too high, wave off if speed is greater than 130kts

I’ll try a few more attempts and try and get some shots for demo purposes.

1 Like

OK, so the above numbers aren’t perfect, so here’s a series of shots:

Entering the break

Hook down, turning

Carrier from this perspective

Going past the carrier down the break

Just before the turn

Carrier at this point

Turning

Instruments in the turn

Almost there…

Closer…

Carrier is on edge of canopy frame

Lining up, getting speed and descent correct

Correcting descent and AOA

Almost there…

Got it!

#4 wire, so I still need improvement.

7 Likes

Great pics @franze thanks very much. I think I see my problem here. I’m far off to the right of your position. I will finish work and upload the same shots for comparison. I think maybe I’m to far away from the carrier before I turn on final. Thanks dude that has been very helpful

AoA Indexer shows a green downwards chevron all the way.

In the Hornet this would be too fast. You want to trim for on speed (orange donut). The actual approach speed is variable (depending on weight, drag, etc). The approach AoA should always be the same.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t trust the AoA Indexer in the Scooter. Every time I go for the donut, kablooey on the deck. So I watch my speed, AoA, and descent rate instead.

2 Likes

Found this helpful comment over in the ED Forums thread with links to 2 guides.
One is like a Chuck’s guide, the other is shorter notes which may be useful once you get the idea but
only need some reminders.

Wheelyjoe’s Chuck style guide

hadlek’s guide

7 Likes

I need a third eye. Good advice bro

A-4E updated to 1.02:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3731755&postcount=635

4 Likes

Tried it now. It looks nice, certainly flyable. Nice liveries and cockpit textures.

Some stuff is clickable, and I don’t mind if it isn’t everything, but for example the gear and hook levers not being clickable is a bit annoying to me.

The flight model is… a bit weird. Not bad for a mod though!
Perhaps it is because I took off with 30% fuel, but the engine feels crazy strong.

It is a pity that they cannot do a proper carrier launch due to DCS restrictions, but I can live with what they did. Carrier landing works fine, although I haven’t figured out the speed or the proper AOA yet. Really easy.

I also tried carrier TACAN but couldn’t get it to work. That might be me though. Other TACAN stations worked. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? I set the carrier up like I would set up a tanker.

2 Likes

It handles very quickly without a load; once you start putting weapons on it though, it gets pretty sluggish.

They’ve stated they can only do land based TACAN for some reason, probably because no SDK access.

2 Likes

Ah ok, thanks!

Oh what a giggle! I had the stupid idea that I wanted to fly North Vietnamese today. I had the pleasure of reading “MiG-21 pilots of the Vietnam War” for the last couple of days. So I set up a scramble for 2x MiG-21 against 4 A-4s. I flew the Fishbed well, like a fish out of water. They were everywhere. I landed a few bursts with the gun and only managed to land the R-3S when they were unaware of my presence (far away). They killed me once and made me mostly run out of gas. Flew the mission 3 times and I was laughing by the end. Oh what a blast this is. Encouraged me to fly more MiG-21. What a great addition this little bird is to DCS. Thank You Merker and team.

Give it a go!

3 Likes

I have been flying the same mission over and over. The only variations being I fly the MiG-15 sometimes and sometimes I arm the Skyhawks with missiles.
The A-4s will force you to fly the Fishbed to its strengths. I tried flying the A-4 in the same mission. Its hard for me to get a shot at the MiG-15 because its way too fast.
Still having fun.

A-4E updated to version 1.3:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3830489&postcount=1129

Carrier starts are now fixed and we can cold start on carriers now!

7 Likes

Just in time to play the aggressor for the Tomcats!

5 Likes

While the plane sure is fun to fly and VERY impressive if you consider it is “only” a mod:
I am kinda unhappy with the flight model.
I cannot even tell what it is, but it feels…odd. Like it has way too much power.

1 Like

It uses a simplified flight model, so yes, it will feel off if you’re used to the official modules.

Yeah I guess we are just spoiled by the high quality of the DCS flight models. Those feel so much better than even the “good” ones from other games.
A few years ago (LOMAC or even FC2) it would have felt fine.

Yeah the simple flight model is…strange. The lack of rudder coordination and the wonky pitch sensitivity is what throws me off most in the Scooter. That and the height of the cockpit over the roll axis.

All that said, I really like zooming around on my Scooter.