DCS.exe --no vr

Does anyone know if this capability exists? My workflow to use the Editor has for years been to launch, go to settings, untick “VR” and relaunch. It’s a PITA. Plus I have to put on the headset to do it. Stupid. Much better would be for me to configure a second launcher that launches in 2D. Thanks in advance!

I always just launch using @SkateZilla’s utility…there is a selection to launch in VR or non-VR…

3 Likes

Ahhh thanks!

1 Like

VR2

1 Like

Link if you don’t already have it. It is super handy for keeping the install updated too!

2 Likes

I usually use Skate’s utility too, but you can create a shortcut with the run line like this:

your path\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe” --force_disable_VR

4 Likes

@smokinhole is gonna build a Raspberry Pi box and make his daughter write a script that responds to the voice command “DCS VR ON” “DCS VR OFF”… :rofl:

2 Likes

Probably yes. The memory footprint should be small and the OS will problably free up reserved memory in case your physical memory is about to run out.

I’m also think it will not use any CPU cycles.

2 Likes

Thanks @chipwich! A command line parameter! That’s exactly what I was looking for.

1 Like

no one loves my app more than me.

originally written just to aid in updating and launching DCS with different settings for testing.

But it has proven to be very useful for everyone.

7 Likes

…and then there is the brute force method to switch between VR and pancake DCS…I bought a second computer. Yeah I know, that’s a lot of $…well now, that’s a lot of NOK (which in English means Next of Kin, which was quite confusing when all I wanted was a pack of gum at the CO-OP…but I digress).

However, if you think about it… If you are primarily using the ME and only jump into the sim just to test a thing or two and all your “real” simulated DCS flying is done in VR, a second PC with borderline specs for DCS is a reasonable investment. I got a laptop as my “development” machine for space and travel reasons. The only “issue” was Windows being temperamental when finding another PC on the LAN but I have both “hard wired” (CAT-5) into the WiFi router, which helps. When everything is working, I just save missions from the “work” machine to the “fun” machine.

Just a thought. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve recently reached the point were progress would be more efficient with something akin to a real debugger.
Questions:

1. Are you using the method described here, or one similar, using LDT?

2. Not debug related but, do you know of a way to get cockpit values from within a lua script?

May I PM you a bit more on this, if you don’t mind? I don’t want to pollute this space/de-rail too this thread too much further.

EDIT: Got the debugger working…then removed about two dozen ‘textOut’ lines of code :heart_eyes: