DCS F-14 Tomcat Launch Impressions MEGATHREAD

LOL now after more than a dozen landings (still no Tomcat damaged yet) I noticed that I haven’t used the DLC once. I just did the good old throttle (and possibly speed brake) technique I am used to.

How about y’all? Do you use it?

For me - just getting used to it, e.g. ACLS Landings - #2 by fearlessfrog

2 Likes

Well… I may have got a little too close to a bears rear guns, and taken a small amount of damage, but really cant see why jester decided leave before we landed. Ok so we may have no hydraulics for landing gear… and the engines were banging away like a viggen when being over AOAed but that was no reason to eject. :grin:

5 Likes

cant you order jester to only eject when you do?

1 Like

Found this out: if your weapons are in safe, but you go to AA mode and select Phoenix/Sparrow, then STT a target and press the trigger… They’ll think you’re firing at them and go defensive. They’ll also shoot back if their ROE is set to return fire. :grimacing:

So… if you are prohibited from firing first, that way you can “pull aggro” so to say? Hmmm interesting :see_no_evil:

Yup! Got a Bear to shoot at me with his tail gun that way! So keep that in mind when designing missions with ROE.

possibly… but in this case all I heard was Jester shouting something then there was a bang and the air noise got loud and I didn’t hear anything more from jester.

I have gone back to tool tips while I learn all the buttons. I find it very useful in vr whilst I suss it out. A bit meh from the immersion point of view but handy nonetheless

They didn’t get it ready for open beta, but they are developing a variable cockpit code, so each livery will come with it’s custom cockpit. Perhaps it’s just the option of having some better conserved birds in the arsenal…

1 Like

How do you shoot a sparrow? I cant get one off the rail…

Are you using STT or one of the WVR modes?

I am selecting vsl modes and plm.

Naturlich Aginor. Great find.

1 Like

Target acquired, Sparrow selected, weapons armed?

How is the seat armed? I know the key-combo but I can’t find the actual arming mechanism in the manual.

1 Like

its on top of the seat behind your head, a red rectangle latch thing

1 Like

I got the missile off. I was using the wrong bind

…but not in front of the passengers…it tends to upset them. :wink:

Obviously a sim-ism however…depending on their ROE, locking them in SST could be considered at least Hostile Intent. I am using US terminology but the concept is likely universal. Hostile Intent and Hostile Action are key ROE concepts. Hostile Action usually means getting shot at. Hostile Intent usually means the step right before getting shot at, such as illumination/lock on by a fire control radar.

But Hostile Intent can be other, less obvious things. The Libyan Mig-23’s continuing to turn to point their noses at the the Tomcats. Or, this one from the dark days of the Cold War:

Between 1973 and 1980, six Kashin-class DDGs were modified (called Mod-Kashins) by the addition of 4 x SS-N-2C ASCMs mounted so as to fire “backwards”, i.e. facing aft and firing down the ship’s reciprocal course. Why does this matter? Because the SS-N-2C has to be fired in the general direction of its target. Thus if a Mod-Kashin wants to take some shots at the carrier, it’s got to turn its stern at the ship.

This actually ae this class a fairly good “title tail”–a combatant the Soviet Navy would keep within sight of the carrier and report its movements. If the “balloon went up” this ship was likely going to be the first one we sunk. However, a Mod-Kashin might have the opportunity to get some shots in first and run away at the same time…case its ASCMs fire backwards.

ROE Implication: You are in your Hornet with a couple of abs and Rockeyes. You have been tasked with “Bird Dog” over the Mod-Kashin tattle tail. You glance below and see the DDG make a hard turn and start heading directly away from the carrier at Flank speed. Is that a Hostile Intent? :thinking:

5 Likes

Been working since Tomcat day. Got home late Friday and saturday was soccer day. My daughters team won 3 out of 4 games. She scored 4 goals! :slight_smile:
Today I finally got some stick time in the pussycat…

It looks awesome in VR! :vr:
The sounds and the shaking that’s going on really adds to the immersion.
Took it for a spin around the block, not knowing any of the systems, besides basic controls. Brought it in for a greaser and was informed by Jester ”That landing brought a tear to my eye”… As I exited DCS it crashed, but that didn’t stop me from feeling that the DCS: Tomcat represents a milestone in the history of flightsims. :f14:

6 Likes