DCS F-14 Tomcat Launch Impressions MEGATHREAD

For years I have laughed at F-14 fans girlishly anticipating what was to me a b.u.f.f. But just like in the past where I have ridiculed others I find that a sim version of Stockholm Syndrome kicks in and I get sucked in just as deep, maybe even deeper. The F-14 is a masterwork.

10 Likes

I meant the keyboard assignments you can use for view zoom, wide, normal, slow in, slow out. I like to bind those to my joystick

I too am guilty of thisā€¦ now that I am sitting in it I wish nothing else anymore. Then I think of the Viggen and the Harrier and feel like taking those for a spin. I have a problem Smokinholeā€¦

5 Likes

You are in the wrong place @TheAlmightySnark. Mudspike is a crack-house for sim fans. ā€œDude. Dude. Take another hit!ā€

11 Likes

I mean, I think I am in pretty deep, surely? We canā€™t all be Beach or Paul you know?

1 Like

The more addicts there are, the less guilty I feelā€¦ :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

Itā€™s not a habit itā€™s cool, I feel alive, if you donā€™t have it youā€™re on the other side

3 Likes

Iā€™m not an addict, maybe thatā€™s a lieā€¦

2 Likes

Ok, Iā€™m stumped. Been trying to talk to Jester but cant. I bound the Menu to my HOTAS. I pull it up but cant select any commands. Should this happen with the mouse? I tried the mouse the numbers and even Voice Attack.
Helpā€¦

In VR (which I think you use) you just look in the direction of the selection (i.e. up/down/left/right etc) and a selection line draws to indicate the segment picked. To select that action just press the same button you used to bring up the Jester menu.

1 Like

OMG, it cant be that easy? Thanks Man! I mean frogā€¦

1 Like

Yep, it works very well, as in minimal bindings needed. If you want to step back out of a sub menu selection just select the ā€˜centerā€™ part and press the Jester button to ā€˜back outā€™ a level.

1 Like

I wish I could use Voice attack. I cant print my commands from Vaicom. Iā€™m sure that would be so cool

I said that the other night on discord voice chat and someone said that his goal was goal was to get Vaicom and Jester to have their own conversation. Still chuckling about that.

3 Likes

ā€¦and that, kids, is how I created Skynet.

6 Likes

Iā€™m having some trouble getting VAICOM to work, but ordinary VA works just fine for speaking to Jester (well, controlling the Jester wheel at least), for me.
Have you tried mapping the shortcuts for him in plain VA ?

pic of VA mapping

Hey! I have not tried that but thanks for the chart. This is what I need.

I was getting myself confused with Fridgeā€¦here is a different Mig-21bis avatar that looks a bit deferent.

1 Like

Too many crashes w the Tomcat. Hope ED fixes this soon

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure how much fixing they will do, I think the tomcat is just more difficult to fly than some of the others.

1 Like

I meant CTD. I thought it was not too badā€¦ then I started pushing itā€¦ itā€™s hard to fly at the edge.

3 Likes