DCS F-16 Viper Mini Updates and Discussion

Second that - empty boxes.

The source is sim-outhouse…probably needs to be copied over locally.

The pics are behind the sim-outhouse forum login.

Pics new are on the DCS Viper Page.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/screenshots/1201/

Sorry about that

9 Likes

3 Likes

Hotdamn that looks good!

It will be really hard to fight the urge to buy another EA model …

There’s no fight in me. I won’t preorder, but I’ll be jumping in just as soon as established that it doesn’t reformat your PC or something silly like that.

For me, just sitting in the fully modeled cockpit in VR is worth the cost. Flying is a bonus. Having any of the systems work is pure icing.

I’m a horrible customer, because I actually like early access for DCS. Since I feel I get my money’s worth from the above, getting these constant patches after the fact is like biweekly presents. Something constantly to look forward to and unwrap.

I’m the problem.

5 Likes

Hell naw man. Don’t you remember the bad old days? Sims used to take years of patches after release. If the publisher deigned to pay for it.

We’re living in the dawn of a new golden age of simming. VTOL VR, flying circus, DCS. It’s all going places . And early access is the bussiness model that makes it happen.

4 Likes

Latest update:

ED Forum link: here

Hey everyone, Viper update day!

As most of you have probably already discovered, this week we released the first cinematic trailer for the Viper. Cato did a fantastic job as always, and the trailer brings across the just how fun this aircraft will be. Flying the DCS: F-16C Viper is great on a 2D monitor, but it really shines in VR.

In August I will start the Viper academic videos, with the first being a cockpit tour (like what I did for the Hornet). After that will come navigation and then takeoff / VFR pattern landing.

Much of the work is centered on tuning the flight model and FLCS, programing the Stores Manager System (SMS), and initial weapons. “Viper Team” is making fast progress and it is coming together at the fastest rate I have ever seen a module develop. On the art side, most of the focus is now on the landing gear (animations and texturing), and after that he will overhaul the external textures (we have a placeholder currently).

In addition to open source documents and Subject Mater Experts (SMEs), another very helpful resource is visiting Viper squadrons to talk with pilots and get seat time in the real simulators. I was earlier at Luke AFB, but it was largely a bust due to Lockheed Martin. However, this week I was down at the 192nd FW in Tucson with T-Day and I got over an hour in a Block 42 simulator. While not Block 50 and using a different OFP than our planned Viper, there was a huge amount of commonality. There were many “light bulb moments” in understanding the operation and how to properly fly the Viper. It is a very, very different bird than flying the Hornet, and it took me a bit to stop trying to fly it like a Hornet (particularly how you land it). Fun fact: When T-Day was flying our Viper in VR, he fractured the metal attachment between the stick and the base due to the amount of force he is used to applying. The force sensitive stick took awhile to get used to (much greater pounds of force per G than I expected), but it was very much like the Realsimulator FSSB base. It is also an incredibly easy aircraft to get up and running. Assuming the ground crew set up the cockpit, it’s a much, much easier aircraft to cold start than the A-10C and Hornet.

It was also an ideal time for me to be down at the 192nd FW because a buddy of mine, “Frodo”, graduated the F-16 Basic School (B-School) and I was able to attend his gradation ceremony. Frodo is also a big DCS fan and it’s great to see that some of the products I worked on over the years perhaps played a small part in his great accomplishment (he also won the AA and AG awards for his class).

Onward an upwards,
Wags

12 Likes

This video has been created to provide you an understanding of what-is-where in the cockpit of the DCS: F-16C Viper flight simulation by Eagle Dynamics. In later videos, we will often reference items pointed out in this video.

The early access release date is planned for autumn 2019.

All images and video are from in game; there are no “real world” images used.

Our Viper is currently in development and will be released into early access later this year. In the meantime, you can pre-order now and save 20%

9 Likes

I watched this through last night, and I am certain I have forgotten most of the finer details already! So much detail to take in.

It’ll be nice that between the Hornet and the Hog, a reasonable portion will be familiar, at least in concept form.

2 Likes

Looking good. :slight_smile:

Wheels

2 Likes

That was fantastic! Thank You.

1 Like

So good, i cant wait.

Still would have prefered the phantom phirst tho.

4 Likes

Oh man.

I’ve been spending too much time in hardware forum. Watching the video the first thing I wanted to do was unscrew one of the panels from the left console, get rid of some of the backup systems and put in another MFD. The flathead screw heads are rendered quite nicely and deserve to be interactive.

So if you wanted one steed that can more or less do it all, which one will do it better, the Hornet or the Viper? Carrier stuff aside, obviously.

2 Likes

Honestly. Viper over hornet. But harrier over viper.

Might not be a popular opinion but that’s my view.

6 Likes

If one for some bizarre reason were allowed to own only one jet, I’d go with the viper.

But the harrier and hornet are both such cool machines. And its true, much of the man-machine interface carries over from one jet to another. So you are not learning everything over again, just the differences.