DCS F-16: Would it be Worth Making

OK, I was wondering with DCS Hornet in the slot, would it make sense for ED to make an F-16 module? Personally, I would buy a Viper module if ED decided to make one. In fact, I hope they do, I would pre-purchase. Anyway, I know the Hornet and Viper were conceived as a result of the lightweight fighter competition, so they are relatively similar. Still, in my opinion, they are diverse enough that they could both coexist in the DCS battlespace. I just wonder if people who have the Hornet would be inclined to purchase a Viper if it was made. I’m also aware of the numerous BMS Falcon arguments (please no BMS arguments… I’ve seen too often how they play out).

Thought anyone?

–T

2 Likes

Sure a lot of us would love a DCS viper. I know I would. But if wishes were horses…

A lot of DCS users would love a Falcon.
I personally would like to fly an early block 5 or 10, F-16A.

3 Likes

IMHO, ED would make millions of rubles with a DCS study level Viper.

3 Likes

I dont think they would get the resources (information, declassified) to make it.

IMO, they would be foolish not to eventually make one. It is one of the most iconic aircraft, and its getting old enough to where most of the systems could be accurately represented, or at least believable enough. So maybe ride the F-18 cash cow for a few years, then you introduce the DCS: Fighting Falcon as in production to recapture relevance.

2 Likes

Is an early block F-16 more classified than a C hornet?

1 Like

huh… you got me there. interesting :sunglasses:

That’s probably a question for @fearlessfrog or @near_blind. I usually end up planting size 13 firmly in mouth. However, to the unedumacated self, given the F-16’s age and popularity as an export, one might assume that there would be the necessary resources available to take on the project.

2 Likes

I have zero clue the history of the BMS team, but you would think, as an outsider looking in, they would stand to make a substantial amount of money if they signed on with ED to create it. Isn’t BMS right now purely a labor of love? Maybe the undertaking would be too much, who knows.

2 Likes

I thought the property got bought by Somebody a while back?

I found this document after someone linked it on a forum. It details the whole Falcon 4 history leading up to BMS. Quite an interesting read.

–T

1 Like

The idea of the BMS guys working with ED to create an F-16 module does indeed sound interesting. In my opinion, a Viper module would be a good move soon after the Hornet is released. Considering that we have NTTR and the Persion Gulf map in the works, I think the Viper would fit right in.

I don’t know the details of the agreement between Atari and the BMS guys. Assuming it allows them the opportunity to work on other projects, nothing should stop them from working with ED. Unfortunately, I can see some pushback from the more “enthusiastic” BMS followers. Still, I’m guessing the Viper module would sell well enough considering the number of F-16 fans in the universe.

–T

This has been discussed to death on the BMS forum. The BMS guys are not interested in working for a platform that they don’t have full control over. It’s just not going to happen.

True. Having read their forums… The BMS guys will never work for/with ED. Not in a million years.

2 Likes

I’d be shocked if there weren’t. The F-16 has been around forever and sold to just about everyone.

As for DCS:F-16? I’d wager it’ll come eventually. If I’m making unfounded random guesses, I’d imagine that if you’re bringing a high fidelity fourth gen multi-role fighter into the sim market, no matter what you do it’s going to be judged on how it compares to Falcon 4 and it’s forms. I think it would be smarter to avoid direct comparisons while developing the framework to make more aircraft (better radar, better TGPs, etc, carrier ops), while leveraging whatever connections Wags has in the NAVAIR world. Once everything is more mature, then you fight that fight head on.

Whenever they decide to do another western jet after the Hornet, I think the Falcon is a logical choice for ED, and will probably net them more money than god.

As for DCS:BMS:F-16?

About as likely as Hasan Rohani calling me up out of the blue and offering me a F-14A with free shipping, and the DoD allowing it. I remember this being floated on the BMS forums a few years back by fans. I remember a lot of ego and some stark personality conflicts. I think the BMS guys have established a very respectable niche, and are happy to stay in it.

6 Likes

Oh, perhaps only the most cynical you can have my BMS when you pry it from my cold dead hands individual would not be happy about such a prospect.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I’m not a BMS forum regular so I did not know.

–T

1 Like

Isn’t there a p3d or xp11 f16? Thought I saw one somewhere.

P3D comes with an F-16. It is pretty basic. I’m not sure if the jet in professional version is different from the academic version. In fact, P3D also has the F-22 and F-35A.

–T

1 Like