DCS F/A-18C Hornet Case I Recovery tips

I don’t know if this is working as intended, but you can trim to on speed on the down wind and the FPM will stay glued to the bracket/donut requiring zero pitch adjustment. Are you guys using stick input/pressure to maintain AoA? If so that would seem to make things a lot harder than they need to be. Maybe I’m misunderstanding though.

I guess what I’m getting at, if you are setup properly and trimmed, you don’t ever have to fix slow or fast. At least not in the hornet with its FCS.

Gunny, you have it right. Once you are trimmed for a certain speed (or AOA, sort of the same thing at this point) the airplane’s longitudinal stability will adjust the nose as you make power changes or as the plane encounters gusts. This only works with stable platforms. Many aerobatic planes don’t have trim because they are neutrally stable. You can point the nose down at 30 knots, let go of the stick, and she will accelerate until parts start flying off.

Then there is the artificial stability that comes with FBW, which is a different thing entirely. At faster speeds, the Hornet is point and shoot and you only need to trim it for changes in wing loading such as in a turn. This slow speed static stability we have been talking about is only present in the Hornet because it was programmed that way to provide exactly to high AOA behavior needed to land on the boat with minimal stick (AOA) changes.

1 Like

ball - lineup - AOA

ball - lineup - AOA

ball - lineup - AOA

AOA-guru

4 Likes

VAaBpei

Rereading your post Gunny, you actually understand all this better than maybe you think you do. Even when you are trimmed for the donut (target AOA/speed) it is very easy to get slow or fast in any airplane. The problem with DCS and even professional flight sims is that they do a poor job of modeling thermals, wind shear and gusts. We get proud of ourselves for landing and refueling so well but we forget that we are doing these things in mathematically perfect air. Mother Nature makes flying far more challenging. No matter how well you are trimmed, some serious stick work is required when the air stops cooperating.

1 Like

OMG!!! Now he wants to introduce real weather! Noooo lol

1 Like

Rogue waves, waterspouts, and microbursts for DCS 2.6!

You need to remember that an armchair pilot lacks one thing that helps a lot a real pilot - the “feel” of the airplane, acceleration feedback in all the axis. The guy in real plane feels every gust of wind, speed change etc We have to judge all that from airspeed readout, velocity vector change of position on the HUD or whatever visual cue we can use essentialy. Real pilots said themselves that some tasks are harder in the sim than in real life due to that fact.

This is why every October 25th we pay homage to the greatest Joystick to ever roam… The MSFFB2!!!
God knows how many of my organs I would sell to have a Warthog with FFB. Feel was the best…
BTW, I hope something I said here helped…

Also wanted to say that Skatezilla’s Skins ROCK THE HOUSE. Soo nice. THANKS

Interesting video I found in Hoggit: here

5 Likes

Another good video for those still having issues with AOA, on speed, and not using pitch. He does a good job explaining why adjusting pitch with the stick is wrong among other things.

2 Likes

Off of the above youtube video I made these graphics to add to the kneeboard in my Carrier Training mission. Do these seem accurate and useful?

First one is for the marshaling at 1500 ft and above:

Second is for the run in from the initial to the break, abeam and then in the groove (with bolter recovery plan):

4 Likes

If this is in the wrong place please delete but seeing as the subject was brought up…

Has anyone else had any concerns over this A.E. W.'s credentials? Watching his videos and he’s getting words wrong, using incorrect slang (calling the carrier a ship for starters. I’m under the impression the Navy/Marines call it a boat unless someone can correct me) and sometimes simply not knowing what something is or does (the speedbrake retraction goof). Ok, he hasn’t been in a Hornet 15 or so years is what he says and has forgotten most of it (?) but I played Jane’s F/A-18 years and years ago and I can still remember things about CASE 1 recoveries and I’m pretty sure after 1,200 hours real life flying you’d remember it more so!..

He also refuses to cut the naysayers down by posting photos etc saying he doesn’t need too and it just seems pretty odd to me. What’s anyone else’s thoughts?

Like anything on the internet, I take it with a grain of salt. Some of what he says seems like valid feedback.

If he is legit or not, in my mind, doesn’t really matter because I am not going to base my life decisions on what he says :slight_smile:

1 Like

No I know, just not particularly happy if someone is getting unearned kudos but as you say no one’s getting harmedby it :slight_smile:

1 Like

To be honest, if you asked me technical questions about flying the King Air I would most certainly not remember all the little details. Even the finer points of flying the Challenger would be a bit of a reach. I haven’t flown a King Air in nearly 7 years, and the Challenger in about 2 and a half years.

This is why we have to go for recurrent training as often as we do.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why he doesn’t just put a couple of photos out there to silence anyone who doesn’t believe him.

Pride?

2 Likes

I don’t see why we’re entitled to demand pictures? You can believe him, you can not believe him. He’s a stranger on the internet and either option is understandable. If he wants to provide further proof, neat, but ultimately it’s his decision.

2 Likes