DCS F/A-18C (Open Beta) Initial Impressions AAR

Glad your back :slight_smile: I thank you for the link too grabbing it before it disappears :worried:

1 Like

Just as a note, I think the Quick Start guide has the AoA indicator lights backwards?

1 Like

It does. someone’s been talking to Sukhoi again

3 Likes

Indeed. A big day for ED, DCS World, and our community. I expect we’ll see a Hornet infestation on the servers tonight. Sadly, I’m at work at the moment.

3 Likes

Shedding massive crocodile tears :smile:

3 Likes

Whoopee!

3 Likes

I believe that is known and reported already, but thanks!

4 Likes

I also noted that during the startup tutorial there is one of the instructor’s lines in Russian audio instead of English. IIRC it is the one telling you to switch the OBOGS on.

1 Like

Here you go, a fix - [FIXED]Startup Training, Language Switched - Bugs and Problems - ED Forums

2 Likes

Ah ok, already reported then. Good.
I don’t really mind as I go by the book anyway, I just noticed it.

1 Like

I just shot my first couple traps. Awesome :slight_smile:

Some initial impressions about VR. The performance hit with with multiple Hornets nearby is massive. On the carrier launch quick mission I get about 10 fps on the deck. The landing mirror is surprisingly good to see in VR, though of course it is nowhere near sufficient (as expected). I can make out finer details only in the last third of the approach. What is a lot worse though is that the deck markings only become visible as I am about to cross the deck, which makes correct lineup extremely difficult.

3 Likes

Refueling is super easy with the positioning of the probe. Plugged it in on the first try. Speed control is not as smooth and precise as with the Harrier though.

2 Likes

Here is my best trap of this first evening. The lineup is pretty poor, but to my defense I can’t really see any deck markings in VR.

I love it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Question, is the Warthog setup to go without a profile, or should I put together a quickie? TIA

Seems like others are reporting no profile ATM.

1 Like

Just got home, had five minutes to fire it off the carrier. Noticed the frames were chugging into the 35-40 range. This is in the instant action carrier launch. Loaded into a multiplayer server, got about 100fps sitting on the stennis. I think those static carrier objects need some optimizing. Using 6gbs of VRAM and 9gb of RAM.

EDIT: Looks like this has been reported. Static F18s cause performance loss. Other planes don’t seem to cause it.

Overall impression: It’s quite good. Visuals are amazing, sound is fantastic.

Definitely some bugs - like where’s the TDC axis bind?

A/A waypoint doesn’t seem to be implemented, neither does inputting grid into a waypoint.

Definitely some quirkiness here and there. But overall I’m very impressed. I’ll give it a more thorough look this weekend.

5 Likes

FINALLY HOME AND DOWNLOADING

…and I might’ve had a few beers at that meeting…

1 Like

Feels like a first date, with whom checks off all of the boxes and looks pretty hot to boot. I need a drink to steady my nerves!

1 Like

To answer my own question: no. So, here’s my plan. In anticipation that there will be one in the near future, I’m not going to build a TARGET profile for this one, but rather bind in-game the WARTHOG and TM F-16 MFD buttons as near to the real a/c as possible. Will share when finished.

2 Likes