DCS F/A-18C

Caught the last 5 minutes.
Getting the pattern just right can be tricky! :wink: Well done Wags, for going around instead of pushing an unstabilized landing! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
1 Like

Just started watching the stream. Looking forward to seeing the hornet.

How do i say this objectively and politely. The map size frightens me. Hoping that maps will grow to a size to encompass the abilities of the aircraft earmarked for release.

[edit]. Ok saw the bit where they are hoping to expand map north and west.

Hearing Wags say they wanted to expand it, and considering the post-release work they did on the NTTR. I’m mollified.

1 Like

Looks up urbandictionary.com

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Persian Gulf for DCS World (formally known as Straits of Hormuz)

Fell asleep last night, thanks to mr stella artios.

Enjoyed the preview. The shadows look very nice especially across the screens. Noticed matt was using 32 gig of ram and i have been contemplating that jump from 16. I wonder if that will see much benefit.

The terrain is quite varied and some places look fun for helo ops. The new carrier mentioned and atc, looking forward to that.

Does the f18 have any flight characteristics or nuances that are worthy of note?

Biggest thing though is fuel dump is working, and that is needed for this
12-F111

Looking forward to it

3 Likes

It has, for its generation and nation, outstanding high-alpha controllability. It does have a rather modest maximum G loading, a little north of 7.5. Also modestly short legs for its role but that shan’t be a problem at DCS map sizes.

It’s a fly by wire aircraft, so that’s going to be different from what we’re used to in DCS aircraft and when it’s all done it should have every mid-80s electronic gizmo the US Navy could find.

I know I’m a little late on some of these but, you know, work.

[quote=“NineLine, post:1327, topic:2892”]
Instead, they most often use ACLS, PAR, or ICLS[/quote]

Yes, but ACLS and ICLS are for ship operations. ICLS can be found at some fields but is generally considered unreliable and not maintained. It certainly does not satisfy legal planning/filing requirements. If you need to get down to precision minimums, you’re doing a PAR.

I haven’t heard of land-based ACLS stations. Again, see above.

I’ll have to do a little research on the Hornet side, but at least in the Rhino that switch is electrically held in the field position. IE when you remove power from the jet, the switch defaults to the carrier position. You’ll never touch it off the ship but you’ll hit it every time you start ashore.

Just to clear this up, Target Points are not the same as the A/G designation or WPDSG functionality. Your designation is basically the active SPI, to relate it to the A-10 terms. It’s whatever the FLIR is looking at, what you’ve designated in the HUD, SA page, waypoint you’ve designated, etc. Target Points are essentially saved designations. For example, you find a building with a flir that you want to look at later, you execute the HOTAS or push button to save that designation into a target point. Then, later, you can recall and cycle through saved TPS.

5 Likes

I am the messenger in this, so hopefully I convey the info correctly.

Landing systems depend on coast, East Coast users PAR, west coast uses ICLS. Fields do still us ACLS stations, just not all the time as they are prone to breaking down.

The information from ED about the bypass switch is correct for the Legacy Hornet. As well I think you contradicted yourself here, but maybe I am misunderstanding? “You’ll never touch it off the ship but you’ll hit it every time you start ashore.” Are you not off ship when you are ashore?

As far as the target points, he did state there are several ways of setting these up, this is one way to do so. Setting a waypoint as a TP can be done in the A-10 as well. This is similar.

2 Likes

I’m not trying to step on any toes, feel free to correct as needed :slight_smile:

I believe that’s “You’ll never touch it [taking] off [from] the ship, but you’ll hit it every time you start ashore”.

I think this is a nitpick about specific nomenclature? In the Hornet the equivalent of an A-10C SPI is called a Designation. When you’re hitting WPDSG (or using the HOTAS “lock” command on the ATFLIR, HUD, RADAR, SA, etc.), you’re creating a specific Designation at that coordinate. From what I understand of Boomerang’s post, a Target Point is stored as one of a separate list of coordinates that can be quickly set as the current Designation, and a the current designation’s coordinate can be stored back into that list.

FWIW Boomerang is our resident active duty F/A-18E pilot.

2 Likes

Sounds like a target point is somewhat similiar to the Strike eagles markpoint function, unless the hornet has its own markpoint functionality.

Designation sounds pretty much the same for the strike eagle as well.
If it does work the same as the strike eagle then you only ever have 1 designation, but you can designate just about any entity that provides you coordinates on the ground, so a markpoint, a steerpoint, what is in your TPOD, off your HRM, a datalinked mark etc. once you get a des, you have then told the jet “I WANT TO KILL THAT” and all of its symbology is based around that des.
You can then employ dumb bombs or LGBs against your des, throw it into a JDAM, cue any sensors to it, etc.
For JDAM you can also just manually enter coordinates into each one.
For JDAM as well you can also transfer in coordinates off of the Sit display just by running your cursors over an entity (hooking it) and hitting the transfer button.

Not sure how similiar this is to the hornets, but they are both MacD/Boeing Products and at least the terminology seems to transfer over (unlike those nekulturniy lockheed products with their SPI’s ).

2 Likes

My understanding is the Hornet has a separate mark point functionality accessed directly from the HSI main page. Beyond that I’d be making wild assumptions, I’ll wait for someone more knowledgeable to pipe in.

Stop it guys, you’re givin’ me a ragin’ hardon.

1 Like

Yup, I am just passing on info from Wags, I know he is working with a couple active duty SMEs, so it could be a simple matter, like you suggest, of terminology.

2 Likes

:musical_score: :notes: OOoooohh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet… :musical_note:

1 Like

@NineLine, All this time I thought you WERE Wags!

1 Like

Not sure 32gb of ram makes that much difference unless you plan to stream. If you want an uptick in performance save your pennies and buy a better GPU.

I’m running 32 GB of ram and I can’t recommend it enough. It has done wonders in general for the speed and health of my computer. Can’t say it in particular has helped DCS, but it combined with an SSD has made DCS 2.5 run silky smooth and still load pretty quickly.

I’ve got 32, It’s nice. A 1080TI would be more nice.

1 Like