DCS: Mi-24 Hind

you need to assign flight control collective instead, just above the cyclic controls. What you have bound right now is the throttle. This one you crank open during start-up and can just leave it there. I get how having collective in between the parentheses there could have confused you. It’s just to indicate its location.

5 Likes

I don’t know if anyone already raised this subject, but I noticed that the gyroscopic precession of the rotor system is not modelled in the Hind (according to cyclic input vs. swashplate observations).

I wonder if other DCS helos models this correctly?

1 Like

well, after a couple of weeks of playing with the hind, i feel like i am starting to get a handle on it. there is a different feel from the hip, and the auto pilot certainly takes some getting used to. you really cant throw her around like you can with the huey, standing it on the tail to stop fast is an experiance, and trying the vertical climb in to a turn, is a very qiuick way to a smoking hole in the ground … so overall nice but like the hip you have to plan everything that you are doing well in advance.

6 Likes

I meant to post this when I did it and forgot. The hind is the only chopper I have successfully barrel rolled though you need height and I used the collective to pull myself round. You chopper pilots will know what I mean. It was fun but scary :smiley:

3 Likes

have only done that by accident … and it didnt end well… :smiley:

1 Like

Can someone explain the autopliot/trimmer? It doesn’t try to kill me as hard as the KA-50’s does, but it certainly gives me more issues than the Huey or Gaz. Based on the video posted over in the helo videos thread , I expected the trimmer to function like the Huey, ie hold the controls in a certain spot. I’m not sure how the autopilot adds into the trimmer inputs. Any info on that would be appreciated.

1 Like

The way I use it is, trim often so you don’t have too much throw when trimming, it seems to over react if you do it in too large a throw.
After I achieve relatively good level flight I use the hat switch trimmer for finesse. Mainly for yaw as I engage the collective brake when my vvi is 0

1 Like

Atention that if this addon is as real as the real hind, the ap is so instable, limited and picky, that many real operators forbid the pilots use it because past crashes made by it.

2 Likes

Jenrick, the hind trim works very similarly to the Ka50 trim in Flight Director mode. It uses a magnetic brake to gently hold the stick in the new position and meanwhile the stability augmentation system uses the helicopter speed and attitude when the button was released as the new reference. But it only tries to stabilize around that attitude with minor nudges to the swashplate. It will not fight you (or at least it shouldn’t fight you). One problem that others have noted is this: it seems to trim more than what was asked. In other words, if you push the cyclic forward 4 inches and press/release the trim, the helicopter acts is if the new cyclic position is 4.5 inches forward. You can also use the trim hat to fine-tune the trim. In most complex helicopters, the hat (or bleep trim) functions to move the autopilot when engaged and not so much for repositioning the cyclic. But maybe the Hind is correct and our Russian friends just wanted to give us two redundant methods for trimming. Not addressing you directly but while we’re talking, If the helicopter starts rolling right uncontrollably this is probably due to retreating blade stall. I don’t buy it as a correct implementation but that’s just me. It might be right. Anyway, don’t fight it with left cyclic. That will only add further to the AOA on the retreating side. Instead, pull aft then add some gentle left when control returns. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

@stavka Glad to see I’m getting an accurate experience :laughing:

In level flight the stability system works reasonably well. It’s when it comes to any manuevering that I run into it being contrary. I think I’ll just continue to switch it off when I’m doing anything other than transit for the moment.

1 Like

A bit like how in the Kamov I squeeze the trim button while doing combat manoeuvres, only letting go when desiring a steady state.

1 Like

I have joined you, comrades! I am so so happy…what a wonderful magnificent beast!

I am so at home. I managed a cold start and a short flight without opening the manual - that’s how close the cockpit procedures are to the Hip. I couldn’t get the damper AP channels to turn on, admittedly…but the best way to learn to fly this girl is to fly without them anyway, so you know what she really wants! :smiley:

I can already tell we’re gonna have some real fun, her and I. So good!

5 Likes

S-24B rockets… best rockets! :slight_smile:

I remember wrecking whole bases with those in Blue Flag in my trusty MiG-21.

3 Likes

Blockquote

I find this super interesting and wonder why nobody wants to talk about it :slight_smile:

I mean from a simulation POV this is probably super hard to model correctly, A, but B at least it should be modeled correctly visually which is is a piece of cake.

1 Like

Interesting, to be honest I hadn’t looked at any of the helo’s to see. Curious now.

1 Like

Exactly - it could be a simple animation fix, unless swashplate animation is connected to the whole rotor, in which case it may seem a bit problematic.

Yeah, I was curious about the other helos in DCS as well. Can’t check myself since I only have the Hind installed.

One interesting factoid. The precession is not always 90 degrees. My instructor claims that the R22 is set at 84.

Regarding the Hind I would only be interested in seeing the correct pitch link movement with the rotor stopped. Once it is turning I think it is asking a lot of ED to have the rotor disk and the swashplate move separately.

3 Likes

That is a very interesting factoid!

I would have thought for sure that it is always 90 degrees.

As to gyroscopic precession in DCS helos…in principle I’m interested but I guess the reality is, even though it is a good simulator, I doubt it is actually modelled, so it is mostly a graphical detail, albeit one I am surprised they didn’t think about given the usual attention to detail.

Do they move separately in real life though? I know the precession is the difference in the angle between force applied and resulting movement of a spinning disc. But does the swashplate not move with the rotor disc, even if the force it applies is 90° out of phase?