As just starting to get back up to speed, wanted to chat about various ways to achieve stuff with some tactics. Using the Stoic Frog (you wish! ) PvE server that @BeachAV8R found the other night. Here’s the top level objectives of that server mission:
Here’s an overview of the map, with the carrier group I’ve spawned on to the left:
Here’s a SA with datalink, and the AWACs providing tracks while I’m on the ground:
Here’s a declutter’d SA, so we can get a look at the emitters:
Finally, map SA view
So questions for the gallery:
What’s the 30 circle?
Say I wanted to start off with some S/DEAD and throw some HARMs, what do I go for first and what do I need to know? I should go look up range/height info on the 15, 8, 6 SA stuff? I’m not sure where to start at what’s best to kill initially.
There is an enemy CAP over the shore, which I think is M2000 and the like. How is best to approach a SEAD when I know they’ll turn in and intercept me? Do I bring a mix of 120C’s and try to coax them towards the carrier first. My usual (and probably flawed) approach here is to do the following ‘F-Pole’ stuff:
- Get fast and high, like FL350 above.
- Get into maximum range and then sum. Hopefully high closure speeds between us, but I’m higher/faster.
- Launch and then go abeam while tracking (Crank). So once launched I drop the throttle and go to a slow dive to the left, but keeping the guidance tracking at about 30 degrees+ offset.
- Wait for TTG and the missile to self-guide pitball.
- Turn away into a 90 degree with their emitters on my EW, so I notch - I tend to climb up while doing this, and out of habit dump chaff before going full 90.
- Keep the circle left, pumping away a bit, and see if I got a hit or not. If I didn’t then extend away and goto 1.
Any tweaks or suggestions to this F-Pole approach?
Is it best to try to clear out some CAP before bothering with SEAD? So two flights?
Could I use the carrier group to help? It’s harder to do it as a single plane, but I imagine the ideal would be to do the above fast/crank/notch/pump/repeat but then have someone come into the circle just as they turn away?
Anyway, I’m just starting to remember how to work all the buttons, so it’s more the tactics talk and chewing the cud I am interested in.
After I can kill the CAP and IADS then I guess I can go bomb stuff and capture bases?