DCS Super Carrier, or how Will learned to love skittles of all the wrong colours

Looks amazing!

Yes. :smiley:

I’m getting really excited about the super carrier, but my Master Arm switch is still off until until the Tomcat is fully integrated and VR performance is vetted.

2 Likes

It is my understanding that everything except the catapult crew is hand placed backdrop from the Mission Editor.

Even the Zamboni?

2 Likes

So are skittles colidable? :japanese_ogre:

Afaik, nope.

An animation of them running away if you threaten to bump into them would be cool :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think if they saw some of us taxying they’d just marshal us off the side into the water and claim self defence …

12 Likes

043 I suspect you are correct @Torc.

Wheels

2 Likes

Captains, what price do you see now on DCS website for the Supercarrier module alone?

I can see 35 USD but yesterday evening (UTC time) I saw it dropped to 25 USD briefly (bought it immediately :smiley:).

1 Like

Says $35 now.
When I bought it the price was $35 but that dropped to $25 in the shopping cart, because I owned the Hornet already.

Alright, that’s why.

I’m still on the fence, but… wow. That video was pretty cool.

Anymore word yet on performance impact? I’m definitely hovering around the minimum requirements…

That is some cool looking deckcrew! Very much looking forward to getting guided onto the cat, instead of either rolling too far and having to turn around, or stabbing U like a madman while a peak using F2 reveals I’m parked several feet short… :upside_down_face:
But whats going on with those old primitive Seahawk models still being used? They are a bit of an eyesore with all the other eyecandy around?

1 Like

Hornet:

For left/right alignment, use the nose mounted IFF antennas.

For forward/aft alignment, look sideways out the canopy towards the opposite side of the ship. Look at the striped line adjacent to your catapult rail. When you line up with the third white mark, it’s close enough to lock-in.

3 Likes

New FAQ

• Dear all,

We have been reading all your great feedback and questions on DCS: Supercarrier, and we wanted to create a FAQ to consolidate all of our answers. We will continue to read all of your questions, and we will update this FAQ. Please keep 'em coming.

Will Supercarrier support the F-14 Tomcat at Early Access release?

Yes. We are working with Heatblur to make this happen and we are making progress. While we cannot promise 100% that it will be ready for the Early Access launch, it will certainly be ready in short order thereafter.

Will plane directors marshal players and the AI to catapults?

Yes this is in the design specification of the module but will come after the initial Early Access release.

We also plan to have a plane director guide aircraft out of their parking location and hand off the aircraft to another plane director to guide the aircraft to the catapult.
Once the aircraft is close behind the jet blast deflector, the aircraft is then passed off to the plane director on the catapult.

Will you include a salute animation for the Hornet pilot?

Yes, we are currently updating the pilot models for the Hornet and the Viper, and we plan to include some animations. This will come after the initial Early Access release.

Is there also a key command for the Salute?

Yes, it’s Left Shift+Left Ctrl+S.

Can you collide with the deck crew?

No, at the initial Early Access release they have no collision model. Later, we hope to add a form of self-preservation logic to avoid collisions.

Will the elevators work?

Yes, they will work automatically for the AI to move aircraft off the deck to prevent over-crowding. Later with the inclusion of the Air Boss station, we will also allow players to manually raise and lower them.

Will the hangar be included?

Yes, and modeling is already underway. However, given that pilots never get into or out of their aircraft in the hangars, this is a lower priority and is scheduled for a later date.

Will red shirt ordnance animations be included?

We have no such plans at this time due to the unrealistically large investment required to support all weapon types and the huge permutations of placement on the aircraft.

How will aircraft be moved around the deck for cyclic operations?

Actual movement is not possible for static aircraft and deck crew given their nature as static. However, using the Mission Editor, adding a simple static despawn event for such units is planned.

How is the performance?

A lot will depend on your computer, how the deck is populated, and level of detail of the models used to populate the deck. However, given that the carrier is at sea, there is no terrain or ground objects to render like an airbase. It goes without saying that the larger the number of high poly count aircraft on deck the bigger the hit.

Why is Supercarrier not free or included with the Hornet?

A tremendous amount of time, effort, and capital has gone into this sophisticated module, and more is still do come. The development cost of Supercarrier rivals many of our aircraft modules. To include it with the Hornet would drive up the cost of the Hornet well over a $100. Please also note that we provided an all new carrier with the release of the Hornet at no extra cost.

How will deck crew night launch operations be supported?

We are working on the addition of glow sticks and aircraft light flash signals. Vests also have reflective patches. This will probably come after the initial Early Access release.*

7 Likes

No red shirts- not gonna lie, I’m not gonna miss the “IYAOYAS!” shouts that would have to be included.

2 Likes

WHAM

It would be nice if it were Shift+U. The lack of keybind consistency between modules makes VoiceAttack a pain in the butt, and us VR users rely on voice-command software due to the inability to see our keyboards.

5 Likes