In the latest newsletter the new damage model which is still WIP was mentioned with a screenshot as well.
New Damage Model Update
In order to bring DCS World to a new level of combat simulation, an improved damage model system is certainly required. Our team has diligently been working on this new and improved system and it will entail the following features:
- We have moved from tracking 30 damage variables to several hundred damage variables. This includes such variables as each airframe spars, engine components, fuel tanks, oil, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems, control surfaces, ammo boxes, etc.
- All elements have unique durability values that are used calculate of bullet penetration into the structure
- There will be no more statistical accumulation of damage, so for example, you can’t tear off a wing by simply shooting at its tip
- All elements can now be torn off by destroying their attachment points or airframe elements (wing spars for example)
- Damage can be distributed from one element to another by fire
- All liquids will flow out from holes, and this will result in decreasing effectiveness of hydraulic and pneumatic systems
Sounds and looks very interesting so far. Just look at how many components there are with the new DM.