DCS World 2.0 - The Enemy Within

@Troll - Yeah…that stream by Wags put the fever in me! I’m actually looking forward to going back through a bunch of DCS World 1.0 content and reflying some of those missions in World 2.0 (provided they are compatible). To me, it is less about the platforms (aircraft modules) than the gameplay. I really (really) enjoy a well crafted mission… Hang in there…it’s gonna happen…

BeachAV8R

1 Like

There are many things that I find entertaining in a sim.
A well made mission or campaign is one. Doesn’t have to be dynamic. Some of the best campaigns I have flown, in various sims through the years, have been scripted. But it takes a talented designer.
Other entertaining factors are flight and system modelling. A “light” sim can still be loads of fun, as long as the missions/campaigns are good. Realistic systems and flight modelling adds to the immersion, as do graphics.
I feel DCS score high marks in all areas. You can dumb it down some, if that’s your thing, or you can go ballistic with extreme realism. I have always liked the graphics in the series. They have always managed to balance graphics with performance.
Now as I look to the east, with DCS2 glowing like the rising sun just under the horizon, future is looking bright indeed! :high_brightness: :sunglasses:

Minor note: It’s called high pass filter, not high bypass filter and in the case of radio chatter, most likely a bandpass was used. /audio engineer gripe :wink:

Awesome AAR! Really looking forward to DCS 2. Great looking campaign too.

One little note, If I remember correctly the A-10 will land wheels up if the nose or mains are too damaged.

Also the blue symbol on your map shows up because of A-10s “link” ability. Pretty much any radio call will show up on the map, If I recall correct.

Indeed. I point to Arma 3 for having some really fun helo missions and all you have to do is start up the helo and go.

Thanks for the correction! I hear bypass and automatically think “high bypass” (as in the type of engines I fly…lol…) Thanks for setting me straight!

Good to know. I didn’t know that about the radio call and symbols on the map… I wonder if there is a setting to disable that?

BeachAV8R

Its been a while since i have been in the A10. But I think its by design that those symbols pop up. It gives the pilot a good view of the battelfield for CAS purposes. If I remember correct when you call JTAC once he gives you the coordinates a white symbol pops up on your map.

What I think Chris meant was the F10 map as opposed to TAD - you are absolutely correct that JTAC can give you targets on TAD or other flights can share their SPI (you get a “white cake” symbol there). However, on F10 map other units should not show up, and definitely not the downed helo - it was my bad, I forgot to mark “invisible on map” option for it :smile: there are quite a few good pointers for me to change things for the better in Chris’ review - BTW Chris (and others), if you have remarks like this, please PM me so that I can update the campaign!

Ah now that I re-read it. Your are correct. I initially thought he was talking about the TAD.

Excellent AAR @BeachAV8R! I need more time in my day to get to playing campaigns like this!

I was inspired to try this campain out when I read this Mudspike article.

When I google search for this on my iPad I am able to find it in the DCS user files here:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1286622/

and I am able to view this from my iPad. But if I attempt to go to that URL from my PC I am getting “Element is not found” from the DCS website.

To try to get around this I emailed myself the link to the .rar file from my iPad to my PC, which is:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.co…W_COMPLETE.rar

but again I am met with failure as I then get a “404 not found” error from the browser when I click it from my PC.

Does anyone else have this problem and/or have a way I can get around this?

mwd2 from the DCS forum quickly responded with this link:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...83&postcount=1

which in summary states that this campain “will become an official DLC for the DCS A-10C Warthog. That means that the freeware version is no longer available for download, as it is undergoing a series of upgrades and changes”.

So I guess I will need to wait until later this year. :smile:
I see this as a good thing, honestly, as it means the campain will be polished up with new features and such.

It is very odd that I am able to find it in the DCS user files using my iPad but not find it on my PC …very odd indeed.

I would recommend that this information appear on the front page of the main page found here:
http://enemywithin.weebly.com/
This would really help to alleviate the confusion.

Sorry about that, we are putting all things together now - it is a very recent change and news! You will find more info on the upgraded campaign here: The Enemy Within as official DLC - A-10C The Enemy Within Campaign (legacy version) - ED Forums
As for wait it won’t be that long, till September. But I promise it will be worth it!

1 Like

I am looking forward to it!

No worries BD, I am looking forward to the new release later this year.

Thanks for updating the text BeachAV8R!