DCS World 2.X Thoughts & Impressions

One thing that helps with Normandy is to “keep it real”. How often is the visibility along the channel 30 miles? Sometimes it’s that or better. But just as often, much less. Keep it down to ten and it is flyable. I gave up on “Burning Skies” (a Normandy MP server) for this reason. It’s not their fault. So few online players use VR that they rarely run into the limitations which come with it.

1 Like

Exactly!
People seem to think that a sim must be set to maximum visibility, and complain about the way the ground graphics look at a horizon much farther away than they normally would be able to see in real life…

That’s a very good point that I for one have overlooked in my quest for the SIM to look it’s best. There was a bug that caused worse fps with medium view distance over high vd I am not sure if this has been addressed yet. I am finding my time limited for any flying ATM

DCS 2.2 released
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3317196&postcount=38

3 Likes

Awesome! Time to buzz the Las Vegas strip in the Harrier.

I guess the thread title needs an update :wink:

1 Like

Finally! I hope to get some time in this weekend with it…

Wonderful! Now it is my turn to try this module out.

those new effects… yummy :hugs: its also silky smooth on my box.

So which of my three DCS icons (DCS World 2 OpenAlpha, DCS World and DCS World OpenBeta) will update to 2.2?

(Don’t reply–I know the answer; just me complaining)

[EDIT: Well actually I don’t know the answer. Secret handshake maybe?]

Wait, you don’t check all three twice daily?

No but I just did and nada. I think I must have misunderstood the post to be current. Apparently it was aspirational.

No it’s updated for me. 2.2, although the updater only checks once every 24 hours so if you played 2.2 since then it might not recognise it.

Run a CMD window in the DCS/bin director and type

DCS_Updater.exe update

That should launch the update process.

Moved the comments over here. Apologize if it was a hatchet job.

1 Like

[EDIT: Worked fine after restarting]

OMG "Through the Inferno" was absolutely unplayable for me. A complete slideshow. Others in chat were also complaining. Hopefully it is just a flaw in the mission.

Can anyone please fly over water at night and confirm the lights (landing or search lights) are now lighting up water?
I know it is a small bug but it has been there forever and it bothers me more than many of the others.

I thought it was fixed. Will check tomorrow.
Normandy seems a lot smoother for me

Honestly there’s no need for that, just go to your Start → Eagle Dynamics → DCS Open Alpha Updater.

Use Skatezillas app :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did stuff around in DCS after actually quite somw time and boy, it was a roller coaster ride!

First, the lighting in 2.whatever is sublime. Like, really impressive.
Second, performance are absolutely stunning with a little leeway for the randomest stepping. There was no actual apparent cause but at least it was few happenings and far between. It files acceptably under the “Alpha” version.
Third… guys… the sounds.
The .50 cal of the mustang or the sabre have finally all the ooomph they deserve!
And speaking of the sabre, the engine sound is really impressive now.

Didn’t notice other planes sounds as dramatically improved as those but probably something went in too.

On a side note loading times seem to have improved somewhat.
It’s such a pleasure to fly low over stuff now- environmental effects are at an all time high.

Flying the mustang with the sun in the six o’clock also gives a very convincing ultraviolet/polarized sun dot on the front plexiglas… hard to explain, try it.

Love it a lot.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes