DCS world wishlist

Sure. I am just waiting for the game that does it well.
IMO in most games “AI” means “Artificial Idiot”.

EDIT; just noticed this post may sound aggressive to some. It isn’t. In fact I am more disappointed about it than anything else.
AI is magically good in some things, and super dumb in others. Both is annoying. And sometimes you look at 15 year old games and think “why the hell didnt they improve AI since then?”

2 Likes

I don’t think you sounded aggressive. Maybe a little frustrated lol

EH, dunno- only good AI I remember from “back then” is Half Life 1 Marines…

3 Likes

Driver AI change between the old Operation Flashpoint (jolly good) and ArmA drove me nuts. It became worse.

Background:
I did a lot of scripting for OFP and one of my fun projects was scripting busses that drove all over the island, they even repaired and refueled if necessary.
Then ArmA was released and the AI became too dumb to drive.

There were a few games with pretty nice AI back in the day. For example the enemies in “Outcast” were surprisingly clever.

The maps got more complex.

Sure, but they even failed simple tasks like following a street for a few km.

Of course there were ways around it but it still felt like it got a lot worse.

Pathfinding AI, especially in a sandbox game like FP/ArmA, will always be more complex than a routine for operating a radar. That’s why I believe something like a RIO or B/N can be done as it’s just automating something that already is automated on single seat aircraft.

For DCS, I don’t know what their resource limits are for the AI, but I’d imagine they want to keep it as simple as possible for the most part. I can think of a lot of mechanics that could be used to keep resource demands down, but given that I’ve never tried to do anything like that before I can’t speak for what they’ve done and what they haven’t done.

1 Like

Back in the day when they introduced lua scripting one of the things that were said to vastly improve was going to be AI. Even user modding was said to be possible. None of that ever happened. DCS AI still often feels like a placeholder.

Hoo boy, this is the thread to confirm to all that I am in fact slightly off.

Planes:

• Panther (Lightening II?)
  • Intruder
  • Raptor (Another I know will never happen)
  • Red/Green/White Dragon (yes, as in the mythological beasts)
  • Tornado
  • Phantom
  • Aardvaark
  • Black Widow (has any sim done this one?)
  • Viper (I mean, we already got a Hornet and BMS)

Terrain:

Middle Earth, or some other fantasy setting. I just want to hop in my Hornet and bomb the crap out of an orc army, dodging dragons, flying wraiths and the occasional SAF (Surface to Air Fireball). Not joking either. Add me to the niche-iest of niches who want absolute realism in my fantasy video-game. Chocolate and Peanut Butter. 75 step cold start? Hell yes. Mission to take out a giant kaiju like Godzilla? Sign me up!

6 Likes

I think this was a thing in the Strike Eagle series.

1. Dynamic Campaign
  2. Instant Action Generator like in the old Jane’s USNF or Il-2 1946.
  3. Vietnam

Am I the only one who thinks the Instant Action mission generator in DCS is too complex and not actually fun?

@Anklebiter in a month from now when the F-14 comes out.

7 Likes

That’s from Calvin and Hobbes yes? We are only as old as we want to be…

And oh absolutely, if I had a choice of pilot bodies to change to reptilian I would totally do it. Maybe not always, but the multi-verse is vast. It is likely, nay almost assured that in one time-stream dinosaurs evolved intelligence and flew Tomcats. Thus realism would go to a while new quantum level!

4 Likes

…but if dinosaurs evolved intelligence–I am assuming here that the extinction-level astroid missed–then mammals would not have evolved into the evolutionary niches left by the extinct dinosaurs…thus no cats, therefore no tomcats…I’m just say’n…so more likely that would be flying Raptors…but that is a USAF jet…and that doesn’t make any sense…plus they would need to change all the NATO designations for Soviet aircraft like BEAR and BADGER…FISHBED might be able to stay…and probably FARMER as some dinosaurs were herbivores…but if they evolved intelligence, would they then be vegetarians? Or vegans? So maybe the Swedish dinosaurs would rename their Viggens to Vegans…multi-verse probability string theory makes my brain hurt. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ah man, how did I miss this thread for so long?

I’ll not beat a dead horse with my wishes for an A-6 and A-7, as they’re already well documented.
Other planes I want:
A-1 Skyraider/ SPAD
Yak-38 Forger
S/H/MH-60 B/F/H/M/R/S *hawk
F-8 Crusader
Etendard/Super Etendard

For maps/ features:
South China Sea
Hokkaido/ Sakhalin
GIUK Gap
Central America/ Western Caribbean (my favorite campaign from Falcon 3.0/ Operation Fighting Tiger was this one, as a Fulcrum pilot.)
Arctic/ Aleutians
North Africa/ Mediterranean
Indonesia/ East Timor
Malaysia/ Strait of Malacca
Horn of Africa
South Africa/ Cape of Good Hope
And if you’re thinking there’s a common theme here, you’re not wrong.

Other features: more interactive wingman/ flight commands, dynamic campaign, better quick mission generator, an immersive career mode with better logbook integration, and a mission designer option to make any building on any map destructible, because storytelling opportunities.

And ships. All the ships. ALL the ships.

2 Likes

I’m amazed nobody mentioned this before!
Good call on the -60 choppers as well definitely a place for them in here

1 Like

F-8 Crusader, Hell Yess!

1 Like

Gotta have vigilante if we have crusaders! I’m in too!

As this is a wishlist thread I’ll add the MiG-25 Foxbat. Not commercially viable most likely, but I would love to go tearing across a map at full burner trying to chase down an SR-71 or something.

1 Like

Well, it wasn’t / isn’t that good of an aircraft…had short legs. Primarily it was used for the Kiev-class CVHGs. That said, f they do more Cold War planes, it wold certainly have a place. It operated in the same timeframe as the F-14A. You may recall that inThe Hunt for Red October (the novel) one shoots a missile / hits an F-14. They would really need to also put out a Kiev CVHG to get it right. :slightly_smiling_face: