DCS WWII: Spitfire Gunnery

Jets mostly have their weapons in the nose and far more powerful weapons available. A burst of 20mm from a Bug will put just about anything out of commission permanently. Throw in all the computer gunsights and there’s really not as much to it. The other part is jets are going to be pulling a lot more lead so there’s more nuanced techniques.

The AI skill generally just influences how good their aim is as I’ve seen Average AI still pull the same infinite energy maneuvers as Excellent. The higher skill levels will aim better and generally try to take more shot opportunities.

1 Like

Excellent AI seem to retain more energy. While the Average can also not run out, they seem to maintain a slightly lower energy state. I can almost entirely keep up with a Spit with the radiators open to an Average AI, but Excellent is no chance - have to pick opportunities.

As for jets, its also worth noting that the cockpit in built into the nose/forward fuselage and you suffer none of the blind-firing under your own nose typically, even under high deflection. Using a gun funnel is about steadiness of your flying more than anything - once you have the wingspan set right.

Edit: jets also start making use of less rudder at higher speeds as well, like the Hornet. So it’s down to pitch and roll for aiming and your aircraft-relative lead comes more to your axis than yaw.

Hmmmm…I was hoping that the lesser skill the poorer the flying. Drat!

Even for the modern AI it doesn’t do much but add an additional chance of success to their chaff and flares, as well as give them an overall quicker reaction time. Their flying skill doesn’t get any better or worse from what I’ve been able to tell.

1 Like

:slightly_frowning_face: Bummer.

1 Like

Thanks Franze for a great and useful post.

2 Likes