Deep Thoughts (memento mori)

“Fear not death, but old age. Dying in action will be your greatest victory.”

• Elby

@Elby

Fine if you are a Viking or a Klingon… And have you ever noticed that it is always old men telling young men.

Me, I want to live to 100 even if it means I need somebody to wipe my arse for me.

7 Likes

I do not like your post @Harry_Bumcrack :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t fear old age as it sure beats the alternative.

3 Likes

“No one ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb ******* die for his country.”
-Someone who would know
(Patton)

Personally I have the ambition of living right on up to the point where I can no longer take care of myself, and then dying at home in my bed. The men in my family seem to have a historical track record of this, somewhere between 85-95 years old. If it happens sooner, hopefully it’s doing something I loved, without leaving a mess behind for others to deal with.

3 Likes

Yep. When I’m on my deathbed I want to regret the things I haven’t done not those that I have… And there is still a ton of stuff that I want to do yet :slight_smile:

My original reply aside, my only wish is that I don’t end up in some type of ‘care’ facility and I have a ‘living will’ to that effect.

1 Like

While I’d rather like the idea of going out like my grandfather did, out in his field mending a fence of a sudden heartattack, I probably will go like my father, of his own volition, at the terminal stage of some age releated disease.

Or perhaps in an agony of fire and blood, trying to defend a way of life no longer sustainable. Who knows.

Got a whole lot of living to do before I need to think about death.

6 Likes

I have an agreement with my wife. If i cant look after myself, dont look after me.

White cliffs of dover. Wheelchair. Brakes off.

Dont look back as you walk away wifey

3 Likes

Some would suggest that contemplating our mortality makes us more aware that time is short and that we need to get on with living life to the fullest extent. The trick is to no get obsessed by by it…as that would just get depressing.

5 Likes

Hence my sneaky addition to the thread title :wink:

It can read “remember dying!, you are but a frail leaf in the wind!” or it can read “Remember mortality, it doesn’t last forever so make of it what you can!” I prefer the latter. In a very real sense Dia de Muertos celebrates life.

Laugh Publishing GIF by Metronomy

4 Likes

Sorry for my digression guys … a little too much wine with dinner and I’m kinda going thru a weird phase in my life.

I appreciate all your replies and thanks for putting up with me.

3 Likes

It’s all good mate. I appreciate that you put that out there. It got me contemplating my existence (and it looks like I wasn’t the only one) and asking myself some questions that needed asking… Still working on the answers though :wink:

2 Likes

You ok @Elby?

1 Like

Good question! :slight_smile: I’m in the process of realizing that I’m going through what they call a “midlife crisis”. :slight_smile: I’ve never experienced one before so it’s been hard to identify. Other than that, life is good! :slight_smile:

Thanks for asking and I hope everything’s well with you.

Cheers

3 Likes

Maybe its a trucker thing bud.

I’m feeling a little bit like I’m going slowly but steadily mental.
Had a long talk with my wife last night about it.
She thinks I’m depressed or run down or both.

I just feel like i want to get in a boxing ring and just go nuts.

Maybe in your case the important thing is you are realising something is wrong before it gets out of hand?
Is it work or home?

I always try to bear in mind that trucks are awesome, interesting and fascinating.

But driving them sucks and it wears your soul away. Bit by bit.

3 Likes

Hey guys. If you need help get it.

Don’t be like me and leave it until it is nearly too late. A few years ago I was suffering from severe depression and PTSD. I knew I needed help but was too proud to ask for it and it nearly killed me - literally.

Help is available and it comes in many forms from professional counselling, to help-lines. Sometimes to simply talk it over with family with a mate is all you need. Just make sure you ask for it. And if you think someone is suffering, do what @Victork2 did and ask if they are OK. Maybe they are, but it never hurts to ask.

I used to think ‘how can a complete stranger (i.e. shrink) possibly help me’? I know better now, in fact sometimes talking to a stranger is actually easier. So if anyone here ever needs to unload or talk through some issues they are having, feel free to PM me. I can’t promise that I can help but I can promise that I will listen.

4 Likes

There is a great forum here for that … no judgment only help and good advice

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/mental-health-or-lets-not-keep-it-to-ourselves/13514/130

3 Likes