DiRT Rally 2.0 League - Discussion

yep

I didn’t actually mess up the car other than the time I ran into a post after the finish line

1 Like

Whoops, reading fail.
Yeah 3 tyres sucks. I was lucky and only had to drive half a stage on 3.

1 Like

8 and 9 where the ones, although the wet road might have evened out times for me a little.

No no, old chap. I said I’d take my medicine. You have a deserved 3rd. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just finished up Spain, well as much as I could. I was running well on I think stage 8 and then hit a bit of rock and punctured the front left. Turning to the co-driver I kicked him out and asked him to grab the spare whilst I jacked the car up.

I thought he looked a bit sheepish when we hit the rock, when he returned without the tyre I asked where it was. Something to do with cutbacks, seeing as I wrecked the Aston in the last rally. Kicking him back into the car was enjoyable.

I drove to the end of the stage and to my horror, as there was no pit, started with the puncture. I drove the stage with a flat left tyre and I think this must have been the stage that you had damaged yours @Aginor, as I somehow took 5 seconds back.

It couldn’t continue and midway through stage 11, I retired.

Congrats to you both on finishing. Great fun.

3 Likes

From the rally announcement:

What is this mysterious thing of which you speak? It is unknown in our land. :mage:

Did a couple of runs yesterday to figure out my chosen ride for the fun rally (still on the Alt rally at the moment though). All of them feel like your granny’s electric scooter going uphill. The DS looks and feels like a boat. The Lancia is mostly OK. And the Mini…

Going downhill in the Mini, when you can actually pick up some speed, feels like a pinball in a washing machine. Those tiny little tires do not play well with the rutted Aussie dirt roads. The DS just glides over them, but the Mini feels like an 80 mph earthquake.

I think I’m going with the Mini. I must have a death wish. :skull:

2 Likes
1 Like

Put in another 6 stages in Spain. Was actually kind of fun to just let loose knowing a spin and loss of time wouldn’t really affect anything. Did have a couple of incidents such as spinning alongside a rock wall and plunging off a hill (with puncture!), but mostly did well.

Decided to take the wet tires for the two moist stages, even though I knew it wouldn’t be ideal for the dry run preceding them. Figured I had nothing to loose. Dry run went well enough (loss of grip wasn’t too much), really paid off for the wet stages. Gained about 30 seconds on the first one (which included a 1 minute puncture change and 17 seconds from hauling back up a cliff), and hauled back ~1:30 on the other one.

Real shame that Keets and I couldn’t go head to head, as I ended up stabilizing around his time for 3-4 stages. Would have been a really close and fun rally methinks. Oh well. Just need to be overcautious in Finland!

3 Likes

This shouldn’t be surprising to anyone at this point

https://youtu.be/cmoEeMcMymw

So fun fact: where I went off the road way into the woods here; 8 second penalty. In an earlier stage went off a little tiny bit and got a 1:00 penalty. So try and drive out if you can I guess.

3 Likes

That was brilliant Mudcat thanks.

Did anyone else notice that as you went along word must have got out amongst the spectators that it was unwise to stand next to the track, the numbers definitely thinned out.

The bit that really cracked me up though was as you limped up that hill with bits falling off you passed an advertisement and it said something like “You’re in charge!” That and the deadpan face of the co-pilot as you drove out the woods was the best entertainment I’ve had for ages, thanks again :smile:

1 Like

Fantastic, you were flying right up to this bit…

The noises in the cockpit at this point must have been epic.

Co-Driver: You missed the glideslope, did you hear me call minimums?
Bitching Betty: “Pull up, Pull up”
Mudcat: Remind me to pick a car with a sunroof next time, then I can see where we’re going.

8 Likes

The spirit of rally!

6 Likes

One thing I found out is that those little marker posts along the way, they don’t move. Like not an inch. The street sign I took out early in the video, that flew, those little red and white things however are stronger than some rocks I ran into.

Anyway, I really didn’t think I was going to make it up that hill, despite the reading my HUD speedometer gave me of 107 mph. Oh well, think I need to change my nickname to 3Tires

5 Likes

I wondered about the round plastic looking posts in Spain. I was about to drive through one to cut a corner, but thought better of it.

2 Likes

The green and white ones? I wasn’t even going to chance those ones. The kicker with the ones in Australia is they look exactly like the flimsy plastic ones you find all around here but are instead made of Adamantium that is anchored directly into the mantel of the earth

1 Like

I drove against one of those Spanish ones during a test ride last week. They are pretty solid. Would not hit them again.

2 Likes

Ya those markers are balls. Most of the physics pretty good. Some ghost rocks and invincible wood markers though…

1 Like

Yeah, they are probably concrete wrapped in plastic. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

That was my guess the first time I saw one, fancy covers instead of just yellow

1 Like

Just drove the first stage of Australia in the “boat”.
I just like the DS, I think it looks cool. And it is… stable. It fits my grandma driving style.

I messed up in the…like, second turn and got some seconds there. Overall I was a few seconds ahead of @Mudcat (10:09.642) but now I am stuck pressing “try again” over and over since racenet refuses to accept the result…

Video of my hilarious mistake (and my time in case it gets lost and it matters, which is unlikely) soon

3 Likes