DIY OH58D collective

@Bearhedge: I will give it a shot.

@Troll:
This is the switch:
RKJXT1F42001
Datasheet

I only saw that it also has a rotating encoder when it arrived. But in the datasheet similar 8-way switches without encoder are also described.
It was the only affordable switch I could found. Only for testing purposes an OTTO switch would be to expensive.

Edit: I haven’t tested(wired) it yet.

Regarding the twist of the throttle: Only 30 degrees I think, but this can be increased by modifying the e-bike grip(move one of the neodym magnets).

Well, it’s done! ( 9 months later :smiley:)
I changed the base to a USB handbrake and shortened the whole thing a lot. It’s much more stable and reliable now.
The maiden flight went very nicely, except that I have to adjust to “pull for power” :roll_eyes:.

9 Likes

Very, very, nice job!
Would love to see some close-ups and perhaps a video…

I mean…who does that, anyway…? Right, @BeachAV8R?
:wink:

7 Likes

Maybe the picture is upside down…or he lives in Australia… :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

duvall_nape

“Lance, you see what that @Ugene dude did there?”

2 Likes

@Ugene don’t surf!

2 Likes

Ok, so here some detail shots.

Someone in the DCS forum had the idea to use the USB handbrake as collective base, and it solved most of my problems. Most of the friction, needed to keep the arm up, comes from the bolt nut on the right. The damper only helps a little bit, and is mostly for the feel.

Removed the spring inside of the handbrake

It comes with a hall sensor, which is connected to an Arduino Leonardo (Plug&Play in Windows).
I connected the hall sensor the the LeoBodnar board, that I use for the head and ignore the Arduino.

I printed a connection for the tube and reinforced it with two threaded rods.

The head is a bit rough, but it works great. I didn’t even replace the printed switches.
The throttle grip could use a little bit more friction, but it is ok for now.

No one will look down here^^

10 Likes