DIY rudder pedals

It should be enough. The ones I used were overkill. Had to put up 2mm steel plates between the axes, to shield the other sensors…

Yes, it’s the center/neutral position. It’s really the “operating point” or “bias point”. It’s an active device, so it has a steady state current running through in the neutral position.
Anyway, it doesn’t really matter; you’ve got it built and running!
You’ve got an awesome build there! Nice job. What is the tube on the right?

Tube is a collimator for an L band laser that I am using for targeted SETI in the Water Hole.

Just kidding, its just a polycarbonate rod that I am using to support the Frankenstein hall sensor mount.

LOL! The first half of that sentence had me thinking “WOW!” – the second half had me saying “huh?”

Looks good. Looks way better than the hacks that I throw together. Electronics I’ve got figured out, but when it comes time to physically mount stuff – I tend to grab whatever is handy and make it work. I had to rescue my Simped rudder pedals when the hall sensor gave up, so I used a Bodnar board and a hall sensor tacked on with blue-tac. The idea was that I’d go back and package it after I got it working…that was about 18 months ago…

Aaah! I wanted those… But they went out of production before I could afford them,

Goblin: The Water Hole is a ‘quiet place’ on the electromagnetic spectrum around 1.6Ghz where SETI used to look for alien signals. Sorry, joke was a little arcane.
Thats a nice complex rig you put together there. I just wanted some rudder pedals to play Rise of Flight and its turned into an all-winter project.

That always happens. Things sound simple on the surface; then you start digging in and realize that it’s going to take a lot longer than the weekend to get your project done.

Time well spent, though.

Yeah, I like the mechanics. I’m going to have to update the toe-brake sensors pretty soon. The way they work is the pedal has a protrusion on the back side, so when you press the brake down the protrusion presses into a compressible material. The compressible material has lost most of its elasticity, so after releasing the pedal, the brake is slow to disengage as the material slowly returns to unpressed.

What about a racquetball?

Goblin:
How did you rig the Hall sensors for the toe brakes?

Toll, et. al.;
Is there a more comprehensive guide for MMJoy, other than the 6 page one at GitHub? I (think) its setup right, but I would the ‘quiescent zone’ to run from say 49% to 51% so I don’t have to feather the rudder pedals into a zero-rudder position…

Don’t think so, but I know @Fridge will do a writeup of his latest build, that probably will help a lot of people who want to build stuff.

But it sounds like you want a deadzone around center of the axis? Have you found out how to calibrate the sensor in MMJoy? You can do a lot of tweaking there. Could you perhaps post a pic of the axis setup page so I can point out the finer details… :slight_smile:

Yeah. I hope to get that all together next week. I have to/want to take a look at axis controls next week as well. I still want to wire up my old Saitek throttle quadrant that ran into USB issues a few years ago. I miss those extra axis for WWII and helicopter flying.