Do you LOFT?

I would do the same thing. Landing is one of the most fun and challenging parts of flying…

…But most flights seem to end with me getting asked “How much longer are you going to be doing that? I’m just going to bed.” And then I hit esc and end flight… or roll inverted and pull hard in full afterburner… or go guns against a ZSU

2 Likes

me three.

2 Likes

Hot Fuzz really is one of the best cop movies out there:

@BeachAV8R In real life I find it really jarring and upsetting when pilots don’t land the aircraft. We have to go out in trucks and find all these bits and bobs lying about wherever it was considered to be proper by the pilot in question. It’s really a bit of a downer having to put it all back together with JB Weld :wink:

3 Likes

LOFT is not complete until there is a lawn dart scenario

My favourite sim session was a take off/landing competition. You started hot on the threshold, configuration, speeds and technique was yours.

Objective, take off and land to a full stop as quickly as possible. No bells and whistles from overspeed.

Trainer had seen a few techniques and some from air force jocks. He went last, smashed my time grrrrrrr

4 Likes

My favorite is usually jammed elevator where you are controlling pitch with power. Fun to try to grease a landing like that…

1 Like

Lining up my jet exactly with a flightline of other jets and shutting her down at the end of the flight is one of the most satisfying aspects of DVD for me.

A bit quirky in FS but something I always try to do.

Spouse: We are already five minutes late and you are still on the computer!
Me: Hush. I’m on short final.

…but in real life, not so quirky. Fortunately every real plane flight for me has ended in a landing which, no matter rough, I have appreciated greatly. So always landing in RL, is IMHO, definitely not quirky.:slightly_smiling_face:

As they told me when I did a deployment on a sub (I think @Peaches will attest to this), one difference between airplanes and submarines: When an airplane goes up, it is eventually going to come back down, in some fashion. When a submarine goes down, it isn’t necessarily going to come back up. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Always did this, even when a sim wasnt meant to include it.
Strike Fighters for instance. It was missing either start up from parking or shut down for years. But I still went through the process, as far as I could.

The joke in the service was about trying to keep the number of dives equal to the number of surfaces.

4 Likes

Yeah, that sounds suitably dark for all the submariners I’ve met.

1 Like

Yes, at least in the sense of using the sim as a sim for IFR proficiency. When I was flying H-60s, we really didn’t do alot of IFR flights and when we did, I would try to a VFR out, IFR in or vice versa. I’ve maintained that strategy with welded wings now in FSX/P3D. In all sims, especially around the boat, I love the challenge of flying the carrier pattern exactly on speed and altitude and never just “who cares if I fly in burner all day”, but try to stay as close to flight manual numbers. As I look forward to the airlines, I’m trying to use P3D for flows and general “chair” flying.

2 Likes

Yes.

Especially…

"LOFT can have a significant impact on aviation safety through improved training and validation of operational procedures. LOFT presents to aircrews scenarios of typical daily operations in their airline with reasonable and realistic difficulties and emergencies introduced to provide training and evaluation of proper flight deck management techniques. The result is an appreciation by the air carrier of operational shortcomings on the part of line crews and an evaluation of the adequacy of flight deck procedures and instrumentation, as well as over-all crew training effectiveness.

:+1:

Here I am parked and shut down after a succesful mission. My kite is the middle one, the camo jobbie.

It was the F-5E Persian Gulf instant action intercept :nerd_face:

2 Likes

The C-130 tests were to see if it was practical to resupply an aircraft carrier at sea with C-130s. The answer is essentially no. You have to clear too much deck space. What many folks (non-Mudspikers that is) do not realize is that most of the airwing is kept on the flight deck; the hangar deck is for maintenance. So you would have to put a large part of the airwing airborne while the C-130 resupply evolution was executed…good to have it back pocket in an emergency but overall not practical.

Great Video!:slightly_smiling_face:

Look ma, no hook!

1 Like