Does Anyone Wear A Watch Anymore?

Want one

2 Likes

Heck of a nice deal! G-shocks are great.

I’ve worn one for a few years, had a bunch of other watches including fairly expensive boutique dive watches, but the last five years I always find myself resignedly strapping on the Apple Watch.

2 Likes

Great find Harry!

2 Likes

I retired last month after 34 years with the company and they gave me this watch. Here it is in front of the oil painting I have above my desk at home.

Someone did there research well.

13 Likes

Mate, that is awesome. It must have been great to work with such a caring bunch.

Now you are retired, you will wonder however you had the time for full-time work… I’m 12 months in and busier than ever :wink:

3 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

Thanks mate. They are a great bunch. I reckon with a bit of practice I’ll get this retirement caper down pat.

3 Likes

I have a (way too) expensive watch collection. My favorite of the bunch is a Citizen Eco-Drive I bought in Japan in 2004. (They’ve sold nothing like it since). It’s a classic Commando. The case is a single chunk of titanium. Sapphire chrystal. To my great regret, for years I thought I had lost it. Then one day I found it in a box. After a week under a lamp it would not move. I then put it in direct sunlight for a day and finally it “ticked” once more. (Doesn’t tick actually.) That was years ago and the watch is still perfect. Not a scratch despite multiple hash runs and attempts up Shasta, Rainier and karst walls at Pra Nang. When my daughter became an EMT at 16 she needed a watch with a sweep second hand. Now it’s hers. I tried to bribe it back with a plastic Swatch/Omega Speedmaster but she was smart enough not to take the bait. I am pretty proud to see her use the Citizen as a true professional watch. Normally a watch with a long life has a cool history and gets passed down to something less. But this watch got passed down to something more.

10 Likes
8 Likes

^^^^^^

OK you got me. It wasn’t lost in a “box”.

6 Likes

Stopped wearing them many years ago (2006 IIRC) when the arthritis got into my wrists. Too much pain.

I do have many watches littered around the house, some of which I still use as stop watches and some are set to chime on each hour so I can keep a mental note of how far through the day we are.

I bought a pocket watch at our local market a couple of years ago:

It’s a nice bit of kit, but I realised it was just too heavy and starts wearing through my pockets, so has to stay at home most of the time and like most here, I just use my phone for timekeeping.

Best one I owned was purchased from Moscow. It was not cheap! It was one of a special edition “MiG-29” set. The story given was that the Russians had bought up the factory machinery from Switzerland when everyone was going Quartz, to make top quality chronographics for their pilots - specifically the MiG-29 pilots, so that they wouldn’t interfere with any sensitive electronics on board the fighter.

The sets were 3 watches pilot was gold, something else was silver - don’t remember which, and flight engineer was brushed aluminium. They were all the same price, but the gold ones were sold out at the time I came across the advert, and I preferred the aluminium one over silver, so that’s what I bought.

I used it for timing in my running training and marathons - it was a fantastic bit of kit. The stopwatch stopped working at some stage and when I got to the UK I went to a jewellers who instantly offered me £300 for it - despite having lost the certificate. So I took the money :grin:

I still have the pouch, though…

8 Likes

I shall be wearing this in my waistcoat at the Festival of Rememberance in the Royal Albert Hall, London on Saturday.

13 Likes

Beautifull :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

That is a fine timepiece Scoop.

2 Likes