Does the bag of rice trick work?

PLEASE tell me it was “She Hates Me.”

3 Likes

4th song on the playlist :grin:

2 Likes

So after almost a week of drying out, mostly unpowered on the dashboard of my car, where the ambient temperature is often above 100F, the phone is back functionally in every way, but the cameras. They are cloudy, like the lenses are smudged, but in this case from the inside. Not having the cameras is a major PIA. No facial recognition, which with everything using 2FA. means I end up typing a long password often to open LastPass and authentication apps. No banking app check deposits. Fortunate, QRF codes seem to work. Contemplating waiting for the new iPhone release or replacing with a current model. Thanks for everyone’s replies.

Both front and rear cameras exhibit similar cloudiness.

1 Like

It’s like a permanent Barbara Walters filter…

Ha ha.

A lot of time that’s the result of their still being a little bit of water vapor in the case. Doing underwater photography having a leak isn’t an unusual result (and provided it’s not salt water) not a huge deal in a lens. If there is a way to expose the interior of the lens to the open atmosphere the cloudiness will most likely go away. Phones you could crack open were fairly easy to deal with, as opening them and allowing them to air dry worked quite well. Not sure about a current iPhone, I’d recommend letting it bake for a while longer to drive that moisture out as best as possible.

If you can track down a vacuum pump and bell jar (or similar), pulling a vacuum for a while might also do the trick.

1 Like

I would not contemplate a new phone yet. Take it to an expert. You will get it sorted buddy.

2 Likes

Consider bringing your phone to one of those shops that do battery replacement and explain that there is moisture caught behind the lens. The camera obviously has lost it’s weather sealing anyway so you’ve got nothing too lose. Hopefully they can do it for a cheap price too, just open up, clean and close.

1 Like

After watching this video, I imagine that the adhesive surrounding the screen has softened in heat at some point and allowed water intrusion.