Drive listed under security configuration?

Hey guys,

I was in my BIOS for a ASRock motherboard Z590 chipset and noticed my SSD under the security tab in BIOS is listedd under HDD Security configuration.

Is there a specific reason for this as I don’t thing I have any security enabled on it and I bought the drive 2nd hand so I wanted to be sure why it is listed here as I have never noticed any of my other drives listed here…

I checked in Parted magic and it appeared there was no hidden partitions or anything. Just making sure nothing nefarious is going on here…

here is a pic of the BIOS Page under Security:

With the TMP security chips you can encrypt the drive. I think that this section of the BIOS is just letting you know that it sees the drive and you can enable some security features on it.

1 Like

Not sure what exactly you see there, but:

It might mean that this drive is using a GPT partition scheme, while the others are still on MBR.

GPT is EFI compatible, so your UEFI (The modern version of what used to be the BIOS) can see it.

I did check into this more and it had another page I could get too under security and it appeared it was just that, options to add the security and a password, I just thought maybe it was password protected drive and there was a hidden partition or something…

Well I checked and secure erased it with parted magic and double checked the partitions with diskpart all looked fine so nothing wierd going on here…

Thank you guys, :wink:

I have 1 more concern will diskpart see a hidden partition if not dispart how can I see a hidden partition on a SSD?

EDIT: I just tried using diskpart and it seen the hidden partition on my C:/windows drive and on the D:/Nephs programs it did not list any just the 1 partition.

My concern is it was a used drive and maybe it had a hidden partition or maybe somethig is going on with it as when I am doing normal tasks like I tried to turn off Teamspeak it was way delayed and took many seconds to terminate that program even after hitting the X to close the program many times.

This leaves me to thing maybe a worm or similar was left on it causing havok on my current system or maybe I am just being paranoid lol!!

Get any linux live boot CD / USB stick image that includes the tool gparted. Boot from it and run gparted. There is no such thing as a partition hiding from you now, you will see it all uncensored.

For example this download would do: GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

@Poneybirds, Yes I use Parted Magic and did check GParted and it looked like 1 drive in the graphic no other partitions so I guess the drive must be clean of any worms or such as I even did a Secure erase on the drive before using it…