Dumb Questions Thread (2021)

Is there a way to download/update DCS World with a resumable download option? I’m at work trying to update my laptop install and it is coming down at an agonizing 1.3 Mb/sec which means it would never finish a 50+GB update in one sitting. I’d like for it to run, pause it, and then continue to update tomorrow if possible.

If I am not terribly mistaken the normal DCS updater already has that built in.
(You can just close it, and when you launch it again it will magically “download” the files up to that point at an immense speed.)

At least I remember it that way from the past when I had an abysmally slow line.

2 Likes

I’m using the Skatezilla updater…which I think launches the DCS Updater…but if I close it out it ends up starting all over again…

I might just leave my laptop running overnight at work…

Does it really start again? Look at the speed of the progress bar when it restarts. (See my sneaky edit above).

2 Likes

That’s just what it looks like. If you have a look at the totals after restarting, they are different.

1 Like

So anyone got any suggestions for this. A few months back…some kind of solvent must have gotten on the plexiglass or plastic covering to the information display of my Subaru. I honestly don’t know what solvent it was. I use 303 Protectant on the dashboard and seats and have never had a problem. I DID carry a gas can in the car around that time…and I wonder if the fumes reacted with the plastic somehow perhaps (?). Anyway - I haven’t really tried to clean it off because I wasn’t sure if there was a technique to use before I ruin it even further. It is like a haze layer…but seems to have penetrated the plastic…it is not on top of it. What kind of polishing compound or abrasive would you recommend? I mean…at this point, it can’t really get any worse.

Maybe try this:

The residue looks like what I had on my Mini’s headlight (just one side strangely)… this cleaned it up very nicely. Obviously, at your own risk :wink: .

2 Likes

Argh, that looks just like the instrument cluster on my Peugeot, a month after I got it. Apparantly the coating on the plastic failed somehow. Ended up having the cluster replaced under warrenty, cleaning and polishing attempts by the dealer, just ended up scratching the plastic.

If you want to give it a shot, we get pretty good results with this stuff, for some light polishing and cleaning of cockpit acrylic windows.

2 Likes

Farecla AG3/700 G3 Advanced Liquid Compound, 500ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003J10S36/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_9QKWV4K13X5B2G0S4FBQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I used this on the plastic headlight lenses and plastic speedo surround with some 3000 grit sand wet and dry and they came up like new.

It was a 20 min job and saved me buying 2 new complete headlights on the hilux

2 Likes

Tooth paste is a very fine abrasive, that is water soluble. I’d give that a shot on a soft cotton wheel on a dremel tool and see if that makes any difference at all.

2 Likes

Can you take it apart and remove it?

You could get some polycarbonate and cut it to size and replace it.

2 Likes

It’s more than likely glued with a lip over the back of the housing so even if you get the glue to melt or let go it will snap if you force it over the edge. Gits

1 Like

I have some PolyWatch compound that I had bought to use on my Reverb G1 lens (never did use it because I’m using my G2 now)… I should take a trial on a piece of the plastic with it and see. I will do that today and report back.

http://www.sucross.com/removal-2797.html

This should get you closer to the screen…

Nice find!

1 Like

:rofl: You have described me perfectly!

1 Like

Is the plane on Eminem’s Kamikaze track an F-86?

1 Like

Flying tail :heavy_check_mark:
2 piece canopy :heavy_check_mark:
Fuselage mounted speed brakes :heavy_check_mark:
Drop tanks slightly ahead of centre :heavy_check_mark:
Fricking awesome and a little sexy looking :heavy_check_mark:

Sabre confirmed

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m on Margarita #3…tonight could get reflective. :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m fairly sure you can see the upper 50 cal gunport as well.

Enjoy your margarita. I’m sat in a filthy, abused fleet wagon trying not to touch any surface with my bare skin

3 Likes