ED dev gets arrested for smuggling F-16 manuals out of the US

I honestly don’t see it ending up at that level of publicity, but I could see it right up there with “Chinese theft of Terabytes of classified F-35 data.”

1 Like

Agreed. The Lindsey Graham part was over the top. But the sim itself is just a browser really. ED must play this right or…well lets just keep it at that. Less Churchill; more Chamberlain.

Just post some pictures of the cockpit gaming setups we have. They’ll leave us alone after that, I guarantee it!

2 Likes

Or ship us all off to Gitmo… :wink:

2 Likes

From the article: ‘A Texas man agreed to help. He received the manuals and shipped them [to Moscow]’ … ‘On wednesday, all charges against the Texan were dismissed’

I’m sensing some serious double standards here. :thinking:

1 Like

Every year my company makes us do training on this exact thing. Not putting information or hardware in the wrong hands. I’m not even in Sales!!! So I see this as a bad thing that could bring down ED. I’m holding my breath…

that got deleted form ed Forums, they try to save their butt.

But its still in net. This can get ugly :open_mouth:

1 Like

Is this how a plea bargain would look?

Probably not a popular sentiment, but it wouldn’t bother me if ED began focusing on Cold War hardware instead of modelling avionics that skate up to currently classified.

1 Like

Yeah, F-4E > Viper tbh.

1 Like

F-111

1 Like

Unlikely, I worked on jets from the 50’s that still felt under ITAR export regulations and guide lines and a whole bunch of other red tape sticks that you can get beat with.

The US does not mess about when it comes to things like this.

There is That acronym!!! ITAR, Noooo.
If the manual is a controlled device, this could bring ED to its knees. Let’s hope for the best. However, if the manual is sold over the counter, then this smells of someone just picking on this poor guy.

Sorry, but I couldn’t resist. :wink:

I feel bad for the guy. I don’t know him, but I seriously doubt he set out to commit a crime.
And if he bought a Viper manual and got tricked into agreeing to buying something newer, then I feel really sorry for him.

2 Likes

What I don’t get is why he gets in trouble for resale of manuals while the original resellers on ebay don’t. Is it purely because of the export angle? Considering many manuals are public domain and “exported” all over via internet how does the export argument even hold water?

In short, ITAR doesn’t care. If it’s weapon related and manufactured by the US it falls under ITAR, even a lot of civilian aviation equipment is beholden to it. And one thing you absolutely don’t want to mess with is ITAR. Not sure why the seller is dodging responsibility though, they ought to be hit just as hard unless they’ve cut some sort of deal.

Which they obviously have.

Perhaps. Pure speculation on my part is ED is keeping this quiet and working with their defence partners behind the scenes to get this resolved. No reason to bring it out in the open and force everyone’s hand.

Who knows what is happening though, it’s not a fun situation to be in.

But then ITAR would apply to simulations themselves.

Certain simulation equipment indeed is, simulators have to adhere to EASA PART specs so that the hours the pilots make count. They often use of the shelve components that are indeed ITAR regulated.

1 Like

Eh… Don’t start me on that.

1 Like