ED dev gets arrested for smuggling F-16 manuals out of the US

Honestly it shows a little arrogance on the part of the individuals involved. ED are so afraid of the Russian government that they won’t even consider a study level modern jet, but these guys are brazen enough to be toeing the line of legality to get manuals, for the most high tech and classified aircraft technology in the world mind you, and not fear the repercussions. Not saying ED is directly involved, but someone definitely flew too close to the sun.

The threat of industrial/technological espionage is very real. To think the government would somehow just let this slide is comical.

I mean they put a guy in prison for taking pictures of his work station on a submarine for his family…

Alright. I want to put on my mod-hat and politely remind people that this is a complicated issue and although we have access to news reports and such, we do not have all of the information. ED is, very likely, in a very tight spot with this seeing as it was one of their employees but we do not know if this was sanctioned or not. The person in question has also had his life ruined for what, under the best light, was a misguided, blinded attempt to further his hobby and engineering/professional interests. Lets stay away from any politics, blame or military secrets rants. Sometimes in the pursuit of our hobby we push the line towards ‘realism’ but we need to remember that there is a line that national security agencies are monitoring and that is serious, serious business.

Just a reminder. I am not trying to be paranoid but maybe I am :slight_smile:

Please carry on.

17 Likes

That’s also covered under Federal law, i.e. the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, which specifically speaks to naval reactors. He had that drilled into him from the time he got to Charleston right after boot camp, all the way through the 2- year pipeline of schooling and training, and had training at least annually on the importance of operational security with regards to nuclear information.

Also the reactor compartment is a bit more classified than the rest of his workstation in the engine room.

The below was written with :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face: and with respect.

I’m with you on less Churchill but Chamberlin? Really? I’m thinking more Woodrow Wilson or Gandhi

I’ve been there. The weather is warm but with a nice sea breeze in the evenings. :grin:

It seems silly but if you think about it…if you read a top speed in Jane’s or some other unofficial source, it is just that, “unofficial”. It is probably accurate but there is some chance that it is not…that the real top speed is different. But if this Marine says it (or I post it), it becomes “official” because he/we know what the actual top speed is. For a CH-46 probably not that important. For an Arliegh Burke-class DDG? A different story. (The unclassified top speed of most US combatants is "30+ knots)

:+1:

:+1::+1:

…and here I thought that @Chuck_Owl was being overcautious by not doing an F-14 Chuck’s Guide…a smart move by a smart man. :tophat: (emoji for “my hat off to you” )

…and for my own opinion: For gosh sakes, why didn’t he just buy a F4.0 manual on eBay?!

3 Likes

Fun fact, it’s about physics! A Chinook is also faster then an Apache thanks to the twin rotor design, it’s a really fast concept and no different then what the Kamov helicopters use!

1 Like

In all honesty I thought this as well. I Completely stand corrected. People who know their trade really Know their trade don’t they!

5 Likes

I was thinking the EXACT same thing, but then I thought it might be too soon to say so :slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3910712&postcount=1

9 Likes

One of the reason a twin-rotor design, especially one with a good bit of seperation between the discs is that they don’t suffer as much from asymetrical lift due to the speed difference between the advancing and retreating blades of the rotor.

@NineLine why is the upper half of that post so garbled? Is it machine-translated Khazakh or something? Will ED be lending Olgerd legal help? I am quite certain that cooler heads will prevail and in the end everything will work out fine.

1 Like

For obvious reasons I can only comment on stuff related to the work of ED and DCS World, my thoughts, feelings or official comments on Olgerd are not appropriate for me to make, this isnt an ED order, its my personal feelings on the unfortunate event.

12 Likes

We appreciate your position @NineLine and respect that you can only comment in relation to the official word of ED. That totally makes sense.

8 Likes

They still suffer from asymmetrical lift, but thanks to the design (one disc spins clockwise while the other counter-clockwise) their asymmetry “cancels” each others out. In Kamov designs where there is a double rotor on common axis the greater separation → the greater top speed is attainable. The asymmetry still limits the speed - at extreme speed the discs may collide with each other (advancing blade of lower disc may hit retreating blade of the upper disc). Also this design eliminates the need for tail rotor - if you want to yaw you just increase AoA of the blades on one disc and decrease AoA on the other, leaving combined lift the same but changing the balance of torque between the discs. Its very interesting design.

3 Likes

The one that comes free with BMS 4.34 beats it in every way :wink:

Content-wise? You are probably correct. But format? A hard copy, hard-bound notebook with tabs? :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Ah yes, you can’t beat that with the greatest pdf file …

1 Like

Until you have it printed! :sunglasses:

This is olgerd? Bloody hell this sucks.

@NineLine, very cool of you to dive into the frying pan and throw some thoughtful water onto the heat of this thread. (Apologies for the mangled metaphors.)

Good luck to you and the company. If the statement is true (and I have no doubt that it is) then this will blow over soon enough. It just sucks to see you all go through all this drama and anxiety for something so silly.

4 Likes

This is so stupid… it’s not spying if you can get it from ebay. Once again governemnt resources are being wasted on a case clearly with no melisous intention.

Hopefully, everything will be dismissed.