ELINT POD in the DCS Viggen

I noticed this guide includes naval and airborne radars too. I noticed that when I tried an ELINT mission I got tracked by airborne radars alot.

1 Like

Right Iā€™d seen that one, and the kneeboard version. I was curious if anyone knew where in DCS that data was cribbed from. Reason I ask is that there are several duplicates of band and freq that just seem odd, but if thatā€™s whatā€™s in DCS so be it.

I suppose I could setup a test mission to verify it for myself, but if anyone knew where in the lua that data was itā€™d be easier.

A quick look in ā€˜DCS World OpenBeta\Scripts\Database\vehicles\SAMā€™ doesnā€™t show anything obvious. I think the PRF/type etc are built into the type of object held outside the scripts. Maybe the ā€˜GT.WS.radar_type = 104ā€™ etc values mapping on to what we see.

Hmm, I guess it might just be easier to setup a test mission than dig through all the game files. Iā€™ll see if I can get that done tonight or tomorrow.

1 Like

Set invulnerability. I did this for a few, but kept getting shot downā€¦ :wink:

DCS World\scripts\database\wsTypes.lua

-- ŠšŠ¾Š½ŃŃ‚Š°Š½Ń‚Ń‹ Š“Š»Ń сŠ¾Š¾Š±Ń‰ŠµŠ½ŠøŠ¹ Š¾Š± Š¾Š±Š»ŃƒŃ‡ŠµŠ½ŠøŠø !!! Š½Šµ Š²Ń…Š¾Š“ят Š² Level 1,2,3,4--*
wsRadarAir           = 101;--
wsRadarLongRange     = 102;--
wsRadarMidRange      = 103;--
wsRadarShrtRange     = 104;--
wsRadarEWS       = 105;--
wsRadarEngagement    = 106;--
wsTypeLauncher     = 107;
wsTypeComandPost     = 108;
wsRadarOptical       = 109;
wsRadarAWACS     = 110;
wsRadarActiveHoming  = 111;

Not into the nitty gritty of what you want, but thatā€™s the most exposed I can find those settings.

1 Like

Alright so after some testing (and lots of SAM dodging @fearlessfrog, invulnerable is WAY less fun) the numbers for frequencies, bands, etc are correct. There are some oddities such as the search radar for the SA-11 and the track radar for the SA-3 being identical across all the identifiers we have to work with. A quick google search shows this probably shouldnā€™t be the case (though I wont lie, my knowledge of eastbloc SAMā€™s is more about how to survive them than how they work). Also the data doesnā€™t match up to any of the info in the DCS encyclopedia regarding B and Freq (I havenā€™t seen an entry for pulse timing but I havenā€™t bothered to scroll all the way through).

Iā€™m tempted to see if Heatblur can provide any additional info on things, to possibly sort of some of the duplicates, and have internal consistency in DCS at least.

1 Like

Hacked up very quickly, but wanted to play around with maps and DCS a bit. Itā€™ll be useful for about 3 people in the world, but not really the point. :slight_smile:

You can try it out by pasting in something like this:

ELINT:

Emitter: 1
Freq: A PRF: 967
First signal: 5:21:54 Last signal: 5:25:8
Sequence broadca: 1s Silent: 2s
NW: 28:32:15 056:14:42 SE: 26:13:30 058:13:06

Emitter: 2
Freq: A PRF: 1763
First signal: 5:22:16 Last signal: 5:24:16
Sequence broadca: 0.1s Silent: 0.1s
NW: 27:00:15 056:16:16 SE: 26:13:56 056:47:57

ā€¦or your own Saved Games\DCS_AJS37\ELINTData.info stuff.

Note: Still need to do all that PRF/Type/Freq parsing, but at least itā€™ll show it anyway if it canā€™t understand it.

3 Likes

I love this little project.

Iā€™d like to think thereā€™s a Viggen developer somewhere in the deepest darkest Sweden right now, silently lurking in this thread and having the biggest grin - he never expected anyone to actually bother figuring out the ELINT pod and is immensely enjoying watching his fellow geeks discover and dig into this functionality he painstakingly recreated.

2 Likes

@nicholas.dackard Tell him it actually doesnā€™t get dark in deepest Sweden right now, but the opposite :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sweet!

Emitter: 1
Freq: A PRF: 447
First signal: 18:1:55 Last signal: 18:6:34
Sequence broadca: 0.8s Silent: 2s
NW: 26:41:53 055:31:54 SE: 26:34:10 055:32:02

Emitter: 2
Freq: A PRF: 967
First signal: 18:2:6 Last signal: 18:2:6
Sequence broadca: 0s Silent: 4.8s
NW: 27:42:48 053:04:31 SE: 26:31:07 055:32:00

Emitter: 3
Freq: A PRF: 768
First signal: 18:6:22 Last signal: 18:6:26
Sequence broadca: 1s Silent: 2s
NW: 29:05:28 053:07:39 SE: 26:31:23 056:05:15

Emitter: 4
Freq: B PRF: 1000
First signal: 18:7:8 Last signal: 18:7:37
Sequence broadca: 0.5s Silent: 1.2s
NW: 26:30:47 055:43:37 SE: 24:08:18 058:11:07

Becomes:

supersick

Feature request (made strictly as an enthusiastic user with no assumptions towards them being actually delivered):

• Deselect / Unhighlight Zone
  • Bullet point pops up with PRF / Duration info.
  • Swedish chef photoshopped / drawn as a viggen pilot as the tool icon (@komemiute? :wink:)
2 Likes

Thanks for trying it - I thought it would just be me! :slight_smile:

The marker should already have a hover info window with a mouseover. The data shown is a bit incomplete so far though.

I think I should probably use different colors to indicate band, frequency as well - that would be easy and give a nicer look, i.e. search vs tracking etc.

1 Like

Gotta run, but added NATO icons plus some colors. Also, if you donā€™t have any ELINT data it puts some sample stuff in, just hit ā€˜Processā€™.

If anyone wants to update or fork it, a jsfiddle friendly version is here and for anyone to hack on:

3 Likes

Excellent, looks good!

Iā€™ll finish putting the rest of the data in a table format tomorrow. I posted over in the DCS forums about the things I noticed, so weā€™ll see if I get a response.

The simplest thing I came up with to sort is basically by band, by freq, and then by sequence (if need be on the later). Just stick all the possible platform names into the description. Itā€™s up the player to decide if itā€™s Shilka or Vulcan for example.

1 Like

Well, with all the forest fires this summer, Iā€™m not so sureā€¦
They actually used a JAS 39 Gripen to put out a fire, with a GBU-49.

2 Likes

So hereā€™s the reply I got back from RagnarDa (who I believe is one of the developers) from the other forum:

Hi! The RWR in Viggen (and by extension the ELINT-functionality) works like this: when a unit in DCS has its radar signal picked up by the RWR or U22 antenna on the Viggen the type of unit is checked within a database located in the file ā€œDCS World/mods/aircraft/AJS37/cockpit/scripts/RWR/init.luaā€. If it doesnā€™t find an exact match for the type of unit it looks for a match for the broader category of units like SA-10SR->Air-defenses->Ground units. If it still doesnā€™t find a match it uses an algorithm that takes the max detection distance of the radar (within DCS!) and calculates an estimate of the PRF frequency, carrier frequency and scan-time. Most of the time the estimate comes close enough. The reason for using either broad categories or an algorithm is for ā€œfuture-proofingā€ the module for whatever could be added to DCS at a later stage (like mods for example). What is probably happening here is that both of those radars have the exact same max detection value within DCS and the algorithm gives the same values based on that. If you give me the likely values of each of the radars I could add them to the database, or maybe the max detection range for one of the radars in DCS should be changed.

So after taking a look in the file referenced, the emitters are listed as such:
ā€“ SA-6
ā€“ Type_Level4 = KUB_1C91, ā€“ STR
ā€“ Type_Level3 = wsRadarAir,
ā€“ Type_Level2 = wsType_SAM,
ā€“ Type_Level1 = wsType_Ground,
ā€“ Search = ā€œDDDDDDDDDD--------------------ā€, ā€“ Beep one second then silence two seconds
ā€“ Lock = ā€œ-8-8-8-D-D-D-P-P-P-D-D-Dā€, ā€“ Sweeping sound 8->P->8
ā€“ Carrier_Frequency = 10000000, --Khz 10Ghz X-Band (Band 2)

So I guess the great hunt for radar data can begin now so many sim projects so little time

3 Likes

I guess Iā€™m number 3. :sunglasses: A very cool applet that I will be using a lot. It is actually much like how ELINT ā€œhitsā€ are shown on various real world intel systems.

1 Like

Number 4

1 Like

Its useful to me, Iā€™m hoping we see multiplayer missions with real recon in the future.

1 Like

If I ever get off my rear and re-invent the wheel, itā€™d be one of the spokes for sure.

2 Likes