ELINT POD in the DCS Viggen

Been plodding away at a mission, with the hopes that it will be part of it. I’m at the point where I have to learn CTLD or else lol

We need to start a club for Viggen ELINTERs…come up with a motto, a patch and secret handshake…have meetings where we drink beer, wear funny hats and talk Viggen ELINT… or vegan ELINT for that matter…

BTW I’m a bit perplexed about what the pod can see.

I noticed this in an ED forum:

[Emphasis mine]

Yet I can see that the regular radar warning system also plays a part per this info brief (Link)

Is the normal ESM gear with its 60º sectors the prime source for receiving the radar signals and the U22 A does…what?

Also, since the U22 A is on the right wing I’ve been flying clockwise flight paths around “suspected” emitters …but if the planes normal radar warning system is the receiver, it should not matter what the pod does.

I’ve got some other ideas for this mission based on how we do this kind of thing n the Fleet…if I can figure out how to use the pod better.

EDIT: Corrected spelling of Viggen.

3 Likes

You must be spelling this wrong, again and again, just to spite me.
Did your wife put you up to this, because I’m Swedish?
:triumph:

4 Likes

Blame Apple…their spell checker keeps on insisting that it is one “g” I shall correct immediately.

In the mean time, speaks of Swedish/SAAB aircraft…

I am pretty sure the Draken means Dragon and Gripen means Griffen…Viggen? Vegetarian?

FYI When my wife was a flight attendant for AA, she became the head flight attendant on the Chicago to Stockholm run because she passed the Swedish language test and could give the announcements in English and Swedish…“Minne damer og herrer. Velkcommen om bord Amarican Airlines flynummer 81til Stockholms Arlanda flyprplass.”

2 Likes

I think it means Thunderbolt? Unfortunately, I hear Viggen and for some strange reason immediately think Spriggan.

spriggan-2

1 Like

I thought it was a tufted duck.

1 Like

I originally thought it was Vegan…so no meat or dairy products in the cockpit!

1 Like

Yes…and no… :wink:
You see, SAAB have some clever dudes on their payroll.

Drake can mean both Dragon, and Kite, in Swedish.
Now, take a look at the shape of the SAAB 35 Draken.
(Draken is «The Dragon» as opposed to Drake meaning just Dragon. Grammar stuff.)

The Viggen, on the other hand… It was the first aircraft SAAB built with a Canard. Canard is also the french word for duck. And, in sweden, a Vigg is a tufted duck.
It also means a bolt of lightning, or Thunderbolt.

The Gripen…
A Grip, or Griffin, is a mythological beast, half lion, half bird, and is also in the SAAB Logo.
Grip can also mean grab, and «gripen» can mean arrested by the police, although I don’t see that having anything to do with the aircraft :wink:

6 Likes

And all the superpowers that come from maintaining Vegan Edge.

3 Likes

What’s a par-me-seean? is it a kind of rodent?

4 Likes

Interesting. In the US Navy we had a similar problem with a fighter squadron who’s symbol was a Griffen…and I believe they were supposed to be called “The Griffins” .

Unfortunately, the squadron symbol/logo looked more like a dog vomiting", so that’s what they went with…Squadron History of the World Famous Pukin’ Dogs.

BTW the latin motto evidently translates to “Don’t step in the puke” or something like that…or so I’m told.

3 Likes

Back to the ELINT pod on the Viggen…The ELINT boxes are a bit squirrelly…most likely a factor of te DCS world rather than how the real pod works (at least I would hope so).

Airborne, seaborne and land based ELINT “hits” usually come in theorem of a line of bering (LOB). You can discern some range data based on the strength of the signal received but there are a lot of things that effect received signal strength so its more f a ball-park thing.

Ships and planes move so the sea for finding a stationary emitter is to fly/steam around ad get more LOBs. On land, the idea is to set up several ELINT sites and do cross-bearings.

It just might be possible with the Viggen’s radar warning to work some semi-LOBs.

Not sure if this will work or not…Fly a straight path on one side of an emitter. The emitter lights up on a single indicator. Note position (drop a recce fix ?) The emitter is somewhere within that 60º wedge. Keep flying until the emitter lights up two adjacent indicators, note location While it appears that the emitter is within 60º both indicators, it might be somewhere within 30º of the center of each…or (if we are lucky) it may be exactly 30º from te center of both - a true LOB!) keep flying until the second indicator lights up by itself. Turn around and fly another flight path 45º off the first. Wash Rinse Repeat maybe two more times?

Perhaps I shall test…the only problem is these missions are so long.

1 Like

You’re doing it wrong.

Spriggan: —>

1 Like

GENE PARMESAAANNNNN

4 Likes

go on…

3 Likes

*taking notes * … * scribble scribble *

5 Likes

Do we have a Mudspike logo original file that one… could have access too for projects and ideas…?

1 Like

Maybe…

1 Like

A patch? Well that’s easy:

A tufted duck, (paying homage to the Vigg as well as playing on the canard angle) riding a giant engine. The ducks is holding a lighting bolt in one hand, symbolizing the electric information being gathered (so now we hit the lighting part too). The duck is peering at it intently through a magnifying glass held in the other hand, symbolizing the collection and analysis aspect.

4 Likes

This thread spurned me to go through the training missions in the Viggen and then try the instant action. My vote for a patch is – if going with @jenrick’s idea of a duck – holding a lightning bolt while desperately trying to get a fire going. Since the engine loves to flame out so much.

1 Like