F-16 shoots self

4 Likes

Very interesting! But why did they insist on making a big deal about an unrelated aircrafts magazine size at the end?

Someone doesn’t like panther…

1 Like

The pictures I saw almost look like a slow/underloaded round which caught the fuselage.

Slow news day, I guess. the 25mm is probably one of the better things about the F-35.

1 Like

Funny story time.
One of the simulator instructors is a retired colonel and he had the dubious record of having shot down a G-91.
The G-91 he was flying.
And to eject as well!

It all happened after a ground target strafing at a shooting range.
:smiley:

I can’t imagine the mockery. :wink:

2 Likes

A problem an A-10 cannot ever face.

2 Likes

So after the first time this happened, nobody thought to train everyone not to shoot the gun then go into a steeper dive and pull up all without every adjusting heading even the slightest?

I get that shooting yourself down isn’t a thought of concern for the most part - but there was already evidence this was possible.

———

Points to whomever first posts a video of them shooting themself down in DCS in this fashion!

2 Likes

Hold my cappuccino…

6 Likes

Flew through ricochets?

Typically USN pilots practice strafing by shooting a the ship’s wake, or at a float-thing towed by the ship in its wake - I’ve never seen a ricochet from strafing….50 cal? Yeah, lots of ricochets…like skipping a rock off the water.

1 Like

Italian Airforce, shooting range was (allegedly) a valley.
Yes, ricochets.

IIRC the G-91 had several .50 Browning…
EDIT: asked former colleagues that still work with the guy and it’s confirmed. G-91 and North Italy Shooting Range.

0 Likes

I genuinely think i did this in the f15c.

I can’t think of any other reason for what happened but I’m willing to be told its not possible in dcs

0 Likes

It depends if bullets are modeled to slow down that much, if at all, or they just “despawn” at max effective range.

0 Likes

You can “follow” the bullets just like a bomb with the RCtrl+NumpadPlus command. You just have to shoot the gun from F2 view and it will track the rounds.

I don’t recall off hand how far they go.

0 Likes

This is why 20mm (F15, F16) aren’t suppose to strafe ground.

As for a slow burner, it’s coming out in the conveyor and.getting lodged in a kevlar jacket. If it still was in the gun the explosion would be out of the barrel therefore no pressure so no round travel. And one FUBAR M616A1

0 Likes

When that’s what you’ve got, that’s what you use. Pretty sure it’s not forbidden, given the times they’ve done so in training and in combat. Even F-14 crews practiced it for the longest time as it was their only authorized A/G weapon til the 90s.

1 Like

Oh I know that was my opinion sorry lol.

0 Likes

As with everything it’s truly a mathematical problem.
You have a bullet traveling a path with a trajectory that will be probably modified by a certain angle by the impact on a surface.
You can reduce the probability of a “bad” ricochet by applying a proper attack geometry.

That said, chance is a harsh mistress and probability is not certainty…

5 Likes

So you are saying that the only thing certain is uncertainty itself? :wink:

Wheels

1 Like

A moment of silence as we remember the days of the pure Air-to-Air Tomcat. :disappointed:

2 Likes

I’m actually not sure about it.

1 Like

Almost all the A2G weapons delivery manuals have engagement profiles for strafing. Usually a minimum recovery altitude combined with a dive angle restriction. The Harrier for instance is a 1423 ft AGL for direct over flight, assuming a dive angle greater than 30 degrees. It’s 218 ft AGL for a 60 degree lateral break or a dive angle shallower than 31 degrees. This is all based on fragmentation and ricochets.

1 Like