F-35B crashes near Beaufort, SC...

Pilot ejected safely. First loss of an F-35 as far as I’m aware (other than an engine fire I think one had on the ground?)… If the statistic is true (155,000 flight hours so far), then it is pretty impressive that this is the first hull loss.

2 Likes

Good that the Pilot ejected and obviously rescued!

Oh, but wait here we go again the F-35 (edit incoming) complaint thread LoL :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

As if no other fast-jet had issues on initial procurement and testing, it gets old and loony to say the least! :roll_eyes:

Yet the F-18 has now served like what 30 years LoL

Its about refinements over the years learning to fly the new bird, like the Harrier pilots, gosh I read so much on the horrid experiences and sad events.

The way I actually read @BeachAV8R initial post is of awe, not complaints.
And I agree, first hull loss after so many flight hours is a positive record.
Way to go, mini stealth. :slight_smile:
You’re not pretty but you do your job.

3 Likes

LoL komemiute - no you assume to much and did not read correctly it was meant for the incoming (over the top it went ) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

F-35 threads - F-35 threads - Google Search :face_vomiting:

Oooh. Ok. I stand corrected. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually if you see it in real life, in the air, it’s not all that ugly. It definately belongs in the air and moves quite zippy, it rolls quick and precise and has an almost unearthly smooth skin when seen up close. Very futuristic.

I saw the A model they brought to Leeuwarden Fighter Town last year.

It flew a bit across The Netherlands in the days before the airshow and I do like its noise. More bass than a viper. Far less penetrating tearing sound.

Before I saw one in the real I thought little of the F-35. But now I think it might be actually quite good. And once we get to play with the full power of datalinks on our hornets in DCS, we’ll see how freaking powerful those are.

I wonder what precipitated this crash. Glad the pilot made it out OK.

2 Likes

it has a lot of inlet and a lot of engine, I suppose that’s what makes it look bulky on the ground, much like the harrier to me. But in the air, any aircraft comes alive!

alive perhaps but pretty?..

4 Likes

I had a chance to literally stand beside it so yeah… In reality bear in mind that my beauty standard are the A6 and the A10.

Stop hull-shaming those poor sovjet designs! :wink:

That’s actually french…

Colour me not surprised… ;p

2 Likes

A few weeks ago they also had a refueling drogue go down the intake of one, don’t know if it was a 35C or 35B. As the services start to get their hands on them and begin regular use of them, accidents will crop up – fact of life. I expect the F-35B to have the worst safety record of the three variants due to its unique nature, similar to the AV-8 and its abysmal safety record. So far, the 35B has been doing very well there which is a relief. Of course, at a cool $115mil a pop, it damn well better. I just hope they don’t make the pilot fly a desk for the rest of his career after this just because of this accident.

A few weeks ago they also had a refueling drogue go down the intake of one, don’t know if it was a 35C or 35B. As the services start to get their hands on them and begin regular use of them, accidents will crop up – fact of life. I expect the F-35B to have the worst safety record of the three variants due to its unique nature, similar to the AV-8 and its abysmal safety record. So far, the 35B has been doing very well there which is a relief. Of course, at a cool $115mil a pop, it damn well better. I just hope they don’t make the pilot fly a desk for the rest of his career after this just because of this accident.

Agree…

“During the refueling, part of the refueling basket broke off, and that debris was ingested into the engine of the F-35.” The basket is part of the appendage that extends out from the Super Hornet to refuel receiving aircraft, Flanders said. It is understood that this is relatively common in the fleet.

link - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/f-35c-and-f-a-18f-damaged-during-at-sea-aerial-refuelling/

Yep, crap happens like car accidents or long haulers on the roads when they have a tyre blow out due to wear and tear as the tyre flicks around.

Damn hits your bumber bar off the car clean, seen it happen on the freeway once.

Only the Marine Corps could triumphly announce to the world that it’s F-35s have dropped bombs in anger for the first time, and then the very next day have to announce to the world that they have had the first crash. Oh Marine Corps, don’t you ever change. :rofl: On a more serious note, glad to hear the pilot made it out ok, and that no one on the ground was hurt. As Beach pointed out, other than an incident or two that have ultimately resulted in the loss of the airframes, this is the first crash. Not bad when compared to the A/C it’s replacing at this point in their lives.

3 Likes

I wonder what the actual cause of the crash was. It’s close to the airfield but not in the direct approach to either of the runways…

I disagree! Its all about the reporter’s 80’s haircut and suit…my gosh, could he get that tie any wider??!! :wink:

2 Likes

Dollars to donuts he tried to ingest a flock of birds. Couldn’t let the Navy one-up them from the fuel drogue ingestion; Marines have to rise to the challenge.

1 Like