F-4 Phantom beats F-35 in engagement!

I think I’ve found the only case where an external pilot model isn’t needed? :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I lived in Germany in the early 90’s, we used to go over to Klatovy, Czech Rep and jump out of this Skyvan. I have stories.

3 Likes

I am taking notes, here!
cue a faint Yellow Submarine in the far distance

2 Likes

I so badly want to jump out of something that has a cargo door at the back that opens. I only had the chance to jump out of Cessna’s. Not even the AN-2 or Porter that were at the clubs… I really do miss the thrill of the jump to be fair. How about you?

I love them. So far have ~ 100 exits out of aft cargo doors, including Skyvans and Casas. Very natural and you can help train new jumpers how to start flying as soon as they get in the relative wind easier than with a side door. Will look for photos. Lots of fun.

1 Like

Yeah true, you don’t have to bother as much with stabilizing yourself, although I loved jumping from the struts with the little cessna’s. So much fun climbing outside without fear of falling(wouldn’t do it without a chute).

Not sure what the ROE was in this case, but back in the day, 1987 to be exact, the idea wan’t to actually shoot down the QF drones. We fired “telemetry birds” - missiles whose warhead had been replaced with a telemetry package that could tell how close it got to the target.

I was in an F-14 squadron, (VF-32) when we did a MISELEX down on the ranges in the PROA Puerto Rica Ops Area. They were employing a QF-86. On the first day we had a Sidewinder that clipped the QF-86’s Elevator trim tab with one of its fins. The QF-86 landed safely and the brought the trim tab to the O-Club that night and presented it to our skipper. It was pretty cool.

The next day, the QF-86 wasn’t quite as lucky. A missile hit it and although it was still flying, it was decided not to endanger folks by trying to land it. So it was “Fights-On!” between one of our Tomcat and the QF-86 - a classic dogfight using guns to shoot down the QF-86. The remote QF-86 driver was at a disadvantage as his view was limited but he was a long time fighter pilot up against one of our JOs…he didn’t make it easy. The Tomcat finally got him. At least the QF-86 went out fighting; a fitting end to a great aircraft.

7 Likes