F18 Trim?

I’ve read up and seen a wide range of comments, Works on the ground. I’ve practiced and I end up doing the flight out of trim which is frustrating. Is there something I should do? Is it worth adding the mod that shows where the trim position is on the controls display? If so how is it added?

Could you be a bit more exact what your issue is? I’m having a hard time finding that out.

1 Like

Do u mean when landing, say on the carrier for an ‘on speed’ approach? If so I’ve found that, after the break turn, I do best when letting both the airspeed and configuration (flaps primarily) flow in a sequence. It is, to me, a feel thing here; flaps come down (about 180-200 knots), then sorta ‘catch’ the AOA, with trim, as the airspeed dwindles. It’s easy to be late like this though. I do, sometimes, add some back trim in the break.

Now, if you’re talking trim in the context of straight-and-level, then it shouldn’t take much; I find that if, for instance the nose is climbing (I think it is), a little ‘nudge’ down & hold (best way I can describe it) gets it all settled.

I haven’t had my coffee yet this AM so this probably makes no sense…someone with better skills please help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Trimming the aircraft at any point in flight, which includes the carrier circuit and tanking. I cannot maintain straight and level without applying a force on the stick

I don’t think you need a mod. If you trim the controls, the “center” will move around from the center showing you where it’s at. Then you can trim in the opposite direction to move it back if you need to.

1 Like

I can only see where the stick is, not the trim. If you let go do you allow the aircraft to pitch or roll while effectively flying the aircraft with the trim button? I have been holding an attitude and then adjusting trim as I would in any aircraft

What brand/model stick?

1 Like

Logitech X56

The stick position shown is stick + trim. So trim nose down, center stick, and you’ll see the center showing nose down.

1 Like

Hmm. Not familiar with that model. Does it have a physical trim knob? Is it calibrated. Just starting from the bottom here. My CH stick will get outta whack sometimes either due to me inadvertently moving the physical trim wheel or just oddities in the calibration.

1 Like

X56 has hall sensors on stick and doesn’t need trimming.
The planes do, though, especially the Tomcat! When those wings sweep back at speed I need a lot or I get an ache from holding the stick…

1 Like

Top right of joystick is a (black on black background) four way hat switch that I use. Its to the right of the small silver button.

Yep. I [almost] get blisters on my thumb trimming the Tomcat when using it for a long time.

1 Like

Got it. Yeah, just sounds like something [as u mention] is off. Just not sure. We talking about the Tomcat here? If so, yeah, it takes constant trimming. Just the nature of the beast. I thought you were speaking of the Hornet, which does require it, just not so much in level flight.

1 Like

Make sure you don’t have an axis assignment for trim.

It sound like you’re fighting the trim in some way. This shouldn’t be the case in the Hornet. The FBW trims for 1g with gear up and speed in the normal flight regime.

Also there’s a little diamond in the controlle GUI overlay (CTRL+Enter), iirc. The big diamond is you stick, the small diamond is your trim.

You could also verify aircraft trim on the DDI page…

2 Likes

Regarding the Hornet:

Pitch trim if everything is set up correctly, you shouldn’t have to touch it at all after takeoff until you setup for landing as the Hornet should always trim for one g. If the problem is climbs and descents, you should probably rather use attitude hold instead of trimming pitch.

Roll trim you have to retrim now and then after speed changes or when you drop ordnance.

The way I trim is since i don’t have force feedback, I release the stick and trim until I observe no undesired roll.

2 Likes

I am only flying the Hornet. I want to be totally proficient before trying anything else. I don’t think I am ever in trim and do not detect any change however long I press the trim button for.

I see you struggling with this quite a lot, mainly I get a heavy nose up moment when I am heavy or have a weird weapon load on. It takes me quite a while to get it sorted out and flying then.
I think it’s worth going back through controls and double checking that your trim bindings are singular and not doubled up and also that your takeoff trim push button is working as required. (You can physically look at the switch as you press your binding to see if it moves) worth a look

1 Like

I do trim for climb and descent. Thanks for that suggestion re autopilot and not touching it after take off. I will try it in an hour. It does go against the grain not to hand fly and be in trim. Surely attitude hold will re-trim the aircraft so why can’t I? I don’t have force feedback either. Roll has not been an issue yet.

1 Like

My old flying instructor would of hated that :rofl::rofl:

1 Like